Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tow rig ?s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DesertDueler, Mar 19, 2003.

1. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Help guys, should I get a 81-87 c30 for a tow rig, or a 88-99 c30? If its going to be an older one, it will be a 454, if its a newer one, either a 454 or a TD 6.5. Thanks guys.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I don't have either but I would recommend the newer one. Reason is that it will have more power and a more fuel efficient engine. The newer ones have more creature comforts and a redesigned suspension that will offer a better ride. As for which motor (454 or 6.5td) I personally would go with the 6.5td mostly because of fuel efficiency and a little more low end grunt.

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

get the older one!! lot cheaper and it will haul a$$ just as good! plus the older k-30's are awesome anyway!!

4. DesertDueler

I forgot to mention that either one will have a 5/7 drop. I love the way a dually looks lowered. So I think either way, they wont ride all that great.

Dan

5. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    k-30's are awesome anyway!!

[/ QUOTE ] There's no denying that, but he said he was looking at C30's... There are a lot more aftermarket products available for the newer trucks when it comes to lowering them too.

6. DesertDueler

No 4x4s. I dont like the way crew cab dually look lifted, or at stock hieght. I know you can lower the new 4x4s.

7. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

I'd get a truck with a TBI 454 and 4L80E or NV4500. The TD will get better mileage, but most of the newer engines are grenades. For a 2WD tow rig i'd consider OD manditory. If you are willing to do some mods, get an older truck and throw on the gear-vendors unit or do a NV5600 swap. For creature comforts, the 95 and newer interior is light years ahead of the older C/K interior.

8. DesertDueler

I am looking at 2 vehicles. The first is a 84 with a 454, th400, and gear vendors under/overdrive. Its already lowered, and the motor and tranny were rebuilt 3,000 miles ago. The other is a 95 with a 6.5 TD, and a 4l80E tranny. Its stock height, and has 105,000 miles on it.

9. bowtiepower00

If you're on a budget I'd take the 84. The 6.5's after 92 have major problems, such as block and lifter problems, that begin to surface after 100k or so. If you have the money to go through the 6.5td (check out peninscular diesel and their beast crate motors) then I'd take the 95 as it will probably be easier to live with on a long haul, and it's a diesel.

10. DesertDueler

Doing this on a budjet. Both are 6k obo, and I have about 7k saved. I figured a thousand or so for little things. Rebuilding it is out of the question.

11. bowtiepower00

If you're on a budget I'd play it safe and avoid the later 6.5's with electronic injection pumps. If you are going to be doing heavy towing you might want to look around for a NV4500 so you have one less thing to worry about. The 84 sounds like a good rig, and the TH400/GV overdrive should be bulletproof. It would be nice to have FI, but doing a TBI swap wouldn't be too expensive down the road.

12. DesertDueler

No real heavy towing. It will mostly be my drag car (5,000 lbs car and trailer) or my boat (3,000 lbs boat and trailer). Every now and then a blazer or something similar. I hate manuals in trucks, so thats out of the question.

13. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Just beware that with the 454 you'll get about 8 mpg gas mileage.

14. DesertDueler

Thats what I am worried about, so I think I am going to get my sandrail streetable to drive around /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I would look a little closer at the '95 if it was me. If the injection pump was to fail it would cost about $1K. The 4L80E is a plus, block cracking issues seemed more common with the '98ish blocks with the oil spray nozzles. If possible have a compression test done, if the owner wasn't getting the air filter in properly it will show with a low cylinder. In the hotter parts of the country an upgrade to the HO water pump and dual t-stats would be recommended. Aftermarket exhaust would get better power/ lower egts.

And the creature comforts are much better in the '95.