Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tow rig shopping done finally...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I went and looked at the '94 I posted about in my other thread. From the pictures it looked like a clean, nice truck. In person was a different story. It was hammered to sh!t, totally thrashed. No tailgate...interior hammered. It died 3 times while he was showing it to me. So I passed on that one obviously. Came back home and found a message on my machine from the same dealership I bought my old F-250 from. They had been looking for something that would fit in my credit score, and had found something. This is what I brought home today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

'95 longbed 2wd 12v auto with 150K. Totally loaded with every option except leather. $9k. New tranny... :D It's kinda nice to have an auto tranny again....Sooo tired of shifting gears. It drives nice and solid, but some "bombing" is definatley in order. I'm sure it'll tow better than the old F-250 with the 5.8 gasser, but I still want a bit more out of it. This one is just a stepping stone really...Gonna drive for a year or so, get the credit established, then go for the 2001+ HO 6spd. :) WeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaaaaCTD!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2005
  2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

NICE! You will love the 12 valve, so simple and reliable and fun to work on. Not to mention that seat cover is pretty pimp.

3. Zeus33rd

Haha...I ddin't realize how gay the seat cover looked until I saw the pictures. It's most definatley on the choping block. :D

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Nice score Joe!

Rene

5. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

What kind of truck is it? Am I missing something? Anyways glad to hear you got something you needed at a good price, tow on!:grin:

6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Looks good!:thumb::thumb:

7. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Is that a 4WD? :D

Good score! Looks like a nice truck.:thumb:

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Nice, congrats! Very similar to my 98 Ram. Same color out and in, but mine was a 1 color "Sport" model. It was a great truck, but I traded it for my DMax, never regretted it...

9. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

4wd that low?
    you kidding?

i liked the look of other one too bad they dont acratly desribe things.

maybe its in the small print ........."oh yeah and the truck is beet to ****!"

10. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Nice score! :thumb: my g/f keeps complaining about her car, soo I think im going to give her my car and start shopping arround for a tow rig :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm jealous. :grin:

12. Zeus33rd

I'm happy with it so far...Only put like 20 miles on it though. lol...Now I gotta start reading up on injectors, fuel plates and gauges. :D Prolly go sign up at TDR finally. And yes, it's 2wd...Like I said this is just a stepping stone. All the 4x4's that would fit in my credit were either hammered or had 250k+ miles. Id say by middle of next yeare I'll have my 2001-2002 3500 Dually 4x4 HO 6sp.:grin:

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

4wd really isn't necessary on a tow rig. I got by on a 2wd one for quite a while.

14. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Unless you plan on towing out to places like the hammers where it's just sand... At least one 4x4 tow rig and all the 2wd tow rigs get stuck everytime...:crazy:

15. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

SO does this truck have the pick up and go that the white '98 did? I'm curious because I was interested if that '98 was turned up.

The auto isn't bad but one thing I don't like about our transmissions is it's response to throttle input, it is a little lazy to down shift. I was also used to my TH700R4 that had a shift kit and snappy gasser though too so take my thoughts lightly. :o

Since you plan on doing a little "tuning" to the engine I would get the ATS valve body and torque converter upgrade, especially since you have a fresh tranny. Thats what I'd do but mine has 107K on it and am just going to let it eventually blow and start over with a new transmission.

If it was me and was planning on trading it towards a later HO I think I would leave it stock.

Looks very clean, good find man! ;)

16. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

And unless you only plan on towing in the summer on dry pavement......:crazy:

Anyone who buys a 2WD tow rig up my way is a moron.

17. rjfguitar

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I know, I almost got stuck a few times at Badlands and in the campgrounds and such. It can be a PITA, that's why my new rig is 4wd. It's nice to have, but hell, you've got a 4x4 on the trailer with a winch and big swampers and lockers, does it really matter if you get stuck once? :grin:

19. Zeus33rd

This one doesn't seem to have the oomph that the '98 did...So I'm pretty sure that '98 had been turned up a bit. Either that or it had 3.73's where this one has 3.55's. As for not needing 4 wheel drive in a tow rig...Well this is also my dd, and it snows here regularly, so a 4x4 is almost needed in my case. Not to mention what Jason brought up about needing 4wd in places like Johnson valley/The Hammers etc. I think I can get away with this 2wd till after next winter. :)

20. rjfguitar

Chances are the '98 had 3.54's also. THey only used 3.54's and 4.10's in the duallys. The 3.54's actually make it faster because they make the engine work a little harder and helps it stay down in it's power band. The 4.10 trucks aren't as fast, with stock tires.