Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tow strap specials? Who has them on sale or cheapest?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BadDog, Feb 3, 2004.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I'm in the market for a new tow/snatch strap. I'm thinking a 30k strap, probably 3" wide, and 20' long. Who currently has the best deals on a good quality strap?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Hmm, I haven't seen any smokin' deals on the 3-inch straps lately. However, Sams Club here has 17K rated 2-inch straps for under $20. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

there is a place near me that has a 3in by 30 foot strap with hooks for 25 bucks. it is a dicsount public warehouse /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    there is a place near me that has a 3in by 30 foot strap with hooks for 25 bucks. it is a dicsount public warehouse /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hooks? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Keep your eye on ebay, every once in a while a lot of them will come up for pretty cheap.

5. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

i have the bad feeling i way overpayed for my 32,500 lb 3" wide 30" keeper strap at 70 bucks.. but it has taken some SERIOUS abuse, like pulling a framed s-blazer up and out of a ditch.. with enough stress on it to snap a towhook in half..

6. big83chevy4x4

yea hooks, i know most people dont like them, but i do cause i only use it during the winter (you have to be good to not get stuck /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif) but they also had one without hooks for 30 bucks i think the rating were the same at 25,000

7. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

8. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

i second watching e-bay. i bought a few off there for a pretty good price. But pay close attention to the strap ratings and make sure not to get a lifting strap because they dont stretch the same.
    here is an example of what i have gotten from ebay.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2593565511&category=48712

As you get into wheeling you will probably have so many straps you wont know what to do with them. I carry with me
    2" 50'
    3" 30'
    4" 20'
    6" 35'
    It is nice to have a selection cause every vehicle you recover is different as far as weight and how stuck they are.

One other thing on hooks. The reason they are bad is because they can become a nice heavy flying object when they break. Most times they are not rated the same as the strap they are on and therefore are the weakest link.

Ok end of my rant /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

9. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

Tractor Supply has some nice straps from 10 to 30 thousand pounds and bigger sometimes. The 30k were like $28 bucks I think!!

10. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    One other thing on hooks. The reason they are bad is because they can become a nice heavy flying object when they break. Most times they are not rated the same as the strap they are on and therefore are the weakest link.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats why i made a face, i have had them go flying at very high rates of speed. Enough to put the hook through the tailgate on a ford ranger that was stuck GOOD.

11. big83chevy4x4

the reason i use the ones wiht hooks is most of the cars have no place to atach them without a hook. but for wheelin don't get hooks

12. big83chevy4x4

the reason i use the ones wiht hooks is most of the cars have no place to atach them without a hook. but for wheelin don't get hooks

13. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I've gotten both of mine from eBay. The first was a 30' 2 ply 3" 30k strap with loop protectors on the end. Super high quality. The second was a military surplus (I think) 2" 60' 6 ply!! 6 plies!!! They're not sewen together but I think its rated at like 60k. They've worked for everything I've needed before but if I see a good deal I'd probably grab a shorter one. eBay's your best bet for selection.

14. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I know your looking for a good deal, but in case you want to get screwed you can pick up one of these babies /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif How do those assclowns stay in bidness???

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I use a very short length of grade 70 chain for this very purpose. If the chain breaks the strap will just fall on the ground.

Main thing about using straps is keeping them clean, out of sunlight, and protecting them from fraying, all of which I haven't figured out how to do.

I have put mine in a washing machine before. I hope I'm not weakening it, but I've never broken a 3" strap. 2" straps, yes. I have done one recovery that I think I would have broken a 3" strap but the guy had a 6"er so we used that.

16. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I got a 2"x20' for $27 and they have a 3"x30' for $57 at the local hardware/tractor supply. I have 2 of the 2" straps, I'm planning on the 3"x30' and a 4"x6' tree strap. I like the idea of a 4' section of heavy chain for cars... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

17. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I got mine from rockstomper after my keeper strap snapped. You get what you pay for a lot of the time, my 20,000 keeper strap snapped in the middle of the loop- and the loop was through a hitch pin.

Rockstomper makes some pretty decent ones, at pretty good prices- My original one frayed upon one use- though they claimed that it still passed their "destructive" test. (exactly how your supposed to know when its bad without doing the destructive test, which then would make the strap useless anyways aftwards, I dunno). Anyways, they warrantied it, and sent me a replacement.

I love when companies take care of their customers, so I ordered yet another.

Our standard 2" x 30' tow/tug strap, 20,000 pounds, $35.

Other sizes:

2" x 20' tow/tug strap, 20,000 pounds, $30.

3" x 30' tow/tug strap, 30,000 pounds, $50.

3" x 20' tow/tug strap, 30,000 pounds, $45.

18. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

if you play alot I could see that being worth it, that would suck to have a strap break when you needed it most and wind up calling a tow truck or exstracter.

pay for what ya get. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

then again /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I donno to some its worth it to me,,, /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

19. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I've heard a bunch about guys who like to bolt down ammo cans in the back of their rig... Maybe the key to storing straps well?

20. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Thanks for all the input guys. I've been searching/browsing on line sources and such for the last few days, no smoking deals found as of now. I may just break down and get the Pro-Comp 3x20 with leather wrapped loops for $60 from 4 Wheel Parts. That seems to be the best bang for the buck. The 1" rope versions look sweet, but the price is just more than I can see putting in a strap, plus I expect there would be a tangle problem if you didn't manage the coil carefully at all times.