Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tow Straps Advice Needed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Polaris, Jun 1, 2002.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Where would you all recommend to get a BIG tow strap? Father's Day is coming up soon and I think that would make a nice present for hubby, who has to pull out all them Furds now when we hit the trails.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Welcome to Recovery straps 101. Grimmy will be your teacher :)

Well first off do you want a tow strap or a recovery strap? There is a difference. A tow strap is a strap with very little give and it is ment to do just that pull a load that is already movable.
    A Recovery strap (some times refured to as a jerk strap) will strech and act like a rubber band. Why this is important is it helps create more pull power for a longer duration with less brutality on the vehicles. The strap will give and and act like a rubber band and sort of sling shot the weight transfere to the stuck vehicle. It's not a sudden slam that stops the revocery vehicle and slams the stuck vehicle. This slam can also cause damage to both the vehicle and the drivers neck. My Guess is this is what your looking for.
    Some people think bigger is better on a recovery strap. It's not. It needs to be mattched to the weights of the vehicles using it. Too big of a strap on a light vehicle then it cannot produce enough energy to get a maximim strech of the strap. I would recomend staying in the 20,000 30,000 lb rating. Typicaly most straps are sold in widths and the width is directly related to the capacity. 2 inch wide straps are usualy 20k and 3 inch are usualy 30k. For lots of mud stucks with full size trucks you probably want to go with a 30k. Mud is mean thing It creates a lot of drag on the stuck vehicle. The recovery vehicle is usualy going to have to get a really good run so lots of energy is involved.
    For typical trail stucks I would recomend a 20K strap. The stucks are not as bad as mud. Usualy a quick jerk is all that is requilred and your not dealing with as much load. Just need to help a vehicle over a spot where it just can't get traction and often just requires a light pull for a couple of feet. Often the recovery truck may be close to losing traction so the lighter rating will give maximum streech with minimal enersia of the recovery vehicle.
    Length is another thing to concider. Most straps are available in either a 20ft or 30ft length. For mud get the 30 for sure. Many times with a mud stuck the recovery vehicle can not get right up on the stuck vehicle or it will also get stuck. For trail it could go either way. If your running tight trails with a lot of switch backs a 20 ft strap might be more desirable. 30ft is not bad either. Lets the recovery vehicle have a better chance at getting up a little speed or get to a spot that it can gain better traction. It can always be doubled so you have a 15 ft lenght in a tight spot but unfortunaly you also get less the streech becaus your effective working rating will now be double also.
    Now a word on taking care of straps. Two things wear out a strap faster than anything. Dirt is the biggest. when a strap gets dirty the dirt acts like little razor blades and cuts the straps filiment by filiment that it is weaved from. Over time it becomes weaker and weaker till it fails. When they get dirty they must be cleaned. Mild soap is all nothing harsh that may weakend the filiments. Really just a garden hose with good presure is all you need. Then make sure it is fully dry before it is stowed.
    Sun light will also have an effect on the strap. It's best to stow them in the dark with a little air flow around them if possible.
    Another thing to look for on a strap is that it has a wear patch sewn into the eyes on the ends. Never get a strap with hooks attached to it. They can become projectiles if something were to fail.
    More too it than you thought huh? hehehe. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    I personaly like the "Keeper" Brand 20k in a 30ft lenght. It has served me well for the types of wheeling I do. I don't see that much mud. If he's seeing lots of mud flats then go with the 30k 30ft. I think he will be very happy with it. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. sinchphoto

sinchphoto 1/2 ton status

i got a badass towstrap from a construction site. they use these straps to lift equipment and foklifts with cranes. they're only about 3 1/2" wide 2"thick and 25ft long. I was told these straps go for 200 bux. got mine for free

4. Grim-Reaper

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

i got a badass towstrap from a construction site. they use these straps to lift equipment and foklifts with cranes. they're only about 3 1/2" wide 2"thick and 25ft long. I was told these straps go for 200 bux. got mine for free

<hr></blockquote>
    You got a hoisting/sling strap not a recovery strap. No rubber band effect. Not designed for vehicle recovery. It proably has a 50k rating.
    So did they give it to you? Cause it sounds like you just admited to mistermeanor theft by taking and it could probably be upgraded to Felony theft with the tresspassing charges they are sure to add on. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Re: Welcome to Recovery straps 101. Grimmy will be your teacher :)

Great explanation, Grimmy. You should be a teacher!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

At autozone they sell cheap 20k straps. You can look in JC whitney and get some heavy duty 40k or 60k 30ft straps by keeper. I got a 40k 20ft strap from a local company.

7. sinchphoto

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! slow down a minute there buddy. Felony? Tresspassing? Those are some big words there. I did not tresspass or take without permission . These straps were given to me. Theres only certain amount of time that these staps are used before they are trashed. They do this for safety and to make sure they dont use an old strap for a heavy job. They get thrown away or given away. In this case they gave me two of them and I gladly took them.

8. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

Atwoods my friend, the red-neck Wal-Mart, they got like 3-4 different kinds, perdy heavy duty too, thaz where im gonna buy mine, soon as the one a mile away opens. thaz good thinkin with the construction straps, my dad works construction so ill see what i can do

Brett

9. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

Nice post Grim,

Maybe this could be put in the tech section for newbies just getting started.

Bigger is not always better!!!!

10. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i use firehose and sew it in a military fasshon. it streaches well and is stong enough to pull almost anything. it might not be the best thing, but it is free(yes you can ask them for it. they just throw it away) and take it to a sewing place to have it sewn. doubled over for the loop, then box stiched and folded in the middle of the loop for rounder loop
    grant

11. Grim-Reaper

That's cool then. Reread your post. You made no mention of them having given you the strap /forums/images/icons/smile.gif It read like you walked in some construction site and took them. Glad to hear your not some bottom dweller thief.

12. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Great post. I appreciate you taking the time. Today I looked and he has a 20', 2" wide strap, full of mud and thrown in the back of the pickup. I read him what you wrote, and will get the proper recovery strap. We have lots of mud on the Pipeline. Nasty (but fun) stuff! I think our Furd friends should buy the strap, since that is how it gets used 90% of the time. Ha. Reminds me, we were sitting around the campfire, up before the rest of them and hubby says to me, "We need some Chevy friends". I'm still laughing about that one. All 3 Furds were broken down and we wanted to go wheelin'. Had to spend almost the entire day finding parts and fixing them. Got to the trail after 6pm! It was a blast anyway. Y'all should come on up to the Pipeline on Labor Day Weekend. It's located near Lakewood, Wisconsin. Hundreds of trucks. Fun time.

13. Grim-Reaper

If I'm going to drive that far (I'm in Atlanta) for a trail I'll be heading west of there to Moab Utah /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

14. sinchphoto

i pulled my buddys blazer today 3 blocks with a recovery strap. major diffrence then with the towstrap i pulled another blazer a month ago. deffinately the recovery strap for pavement use. if pulling out of mud the towstrap should be fine. as the mudd is verrysoft.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Can you wash a tow strap in a washing machine?

16. Grim-Reaper

The strap would be fine but I would use very little detergent. Let it air dry. don't put it in the dryer.
    My fear of washing a muddy strap in the washing machine is not the strap or the machine it's the wife /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

17. 73blazerUSMC

73blazerUSMC Registered Member

you might try to find a tugboat rope i have a friend with one that is 50ft and one that is 70ft these things are damn strong they are like 3in in diam never broken one and we use them hard whe have bolth snapped on them (my blazer and his burb) and the refuse to break just my 2c

-scott

18. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I got my strap fom an Army-Navy surplus store. They are cheap and I go through about one a year. Think I paid $15 for each one.