Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tow Straps and Pulling People Out???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChvyWakeBrdr0405, Nov 19, 2002.

1. ChvyWakeBrdr0405

ChvyWakeBrdr0405 Registered Member

what pound rating should i get for tow and recovery straps? ive found up to 20,000 pound tow straps locally (non stretch) and then online from northerntool.com i see 36,000 pound recovery (stretches) straps or from 4wheelparts i can get 40,000 pound straps doesnt say if recovery or tow.

how heavy of straps do you guys use, and how do you hook up to each vehicle. BTW ill mostly be pulling out friends (94 reg cab ranger, 2002 quad cab tacoma, 98 cherokee, lots of little light things)

2. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Well I'd like the 40,000 one myself...

Think about weight in motion...

You get your 4500 pound truck moving 10 feet and it reaches say.. 10 mph... and jerk on a stuck truck.... what do you think it gonna happen...

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Get the best you can get....

3. ChvyWakeBrdr0405

ChvyWakeBrdr0405 Registered Member

yea thats what im thinking too, a 40k lbs recovery and 35k lbs tow. then spares. with a recovery strap, do you slowly apply tension to the strap till your at the max thength, then step on it, or do you leave a little slack and then floor it, i assume the first 2nd sounds dangerous but i really have never done it so i dont know

another question, how do those clevix things (look like a closed horse shoe) hook up to a truck? i cant see where you would attach them other than a tow hook, but then why not just use the hook?

4. 88k5blaza

88k5blaza Registered Member

i like the 40k recovery because when you have a truck in the mud up to the rockers you might as well multiply the weight by 4 becuase of all the suction! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't get the 2" wide by 20' or 30' long ones. Those are better for Jeeps and other smaller weight vehicles.

I've torn/damaged 3 tow straps of this size. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I have a 3" wide by 30' strap and it works best for our size trucks. You can always go with a wider strap, but you won't have as good a stretch effect as you would the 3" unless you get a good hard running start. These good hard running starts can be hard to do when its slicker than snot.

6. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I've had to yank many people since quite often I'm the only fullsize. We also go "big truck, little truck, big truck, little truck.." and they seem to think I'm a big truck. I have used many straps/ropes.

DON'T USE A TOW STRAP AS A RECOVERY STRAP.

I see people do this a lot. It makes me cringe and run for cover. If it's a tow strap pretend it is a chain. In other words, no running starts or even rolling starts. Take the tension up slowly.

A 2" RECOVERY strap works for recovering vehicles in which one is heavy and one is light. A light vehicle won't get out a heavy vehicle if it's a wide strap that doesn't stretch much. A heavy vehicle will just tear up a light vehicle if the strap doesn't stretch.

A 3" recovery strap works pretty good for getting 4500-6000lb vehicles out with an equal-sized vehicle.

I've only used a 4" strap once. I was yanking a Jeep out and it wasn't of much use. I probably didn't stretch it more than a foot or two. I think a 4" strap would come in handy for when you've got a Suburban or K5s pulling each other out since they're large, heavy, and can get enough traction to stretch the strap even if they don't have momentum on their side.

I've also used those "recovery ropes" that Pro-Comp and others make. I don't like them very much. The one I used recently didn't stretch much. In fact, I expected it to stretch a lot and it didn't. I was going about 5mph in reverse and when I saw the slack run out my truck stopped and slid sideways in the mud as it cleaned off my seat.

Don't use a strap that has D-rings or hooks on it. They make mighty nice projectiles. Use a plain-jane looped strap. Make the people you go out with put tow hooks on the front and back of their vehicle. Make them use real towhooks also. None of those things that look like something you'd use to moor your boat with.

My recommendation: Buy a Keeper 3"x30' recovery strap. Summit has them for a respectable price. I'm planning on getting one because I no longer trust the one I've got. I've seen straps break and while I've never seen any real carnage it scares me pretty good.

7. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Me and my buddies have all sorts of straps... i myself have a 2" x 20' and a 4" x 18'. My buddy has a 4" x 50ft. And a 6" x 18ft. And so we never really gotta worry about broken straps. He also has a 15,000lb winch or maybe 12,000... and another friend has a 9500 winch.
    Anyway, first tug, you want to get no slack in the rope and try and pull it out, if that doesnt work at all, back up a little and pop it out with only a little slack... if that doesnt work back up more an try and pop it out. And do that two or three more times... if it doenst work. Try another way... One time, i tuged and tuged and no go, so I had to back up about 5 ft away from the stuck truck and gun it ... and we had a 30ft strap and I did that two times to get him out... before I tried to get him out a bigole truck with 44's tried yankin him but got his bumper ripped off (dont attach to bumper).. and a Z71 on 33's broke his hitch.... i really didnt want to but tehre was no other way and he was my buddy, so i had to. But i got em out fine after burning out my clutch.

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

kinda worries me if his bumper got ripped out.

I yank with my bumper all the time. I figured it was the strongest attachment point with 8 grade 8 bolts. At most you can get into a hook is two, and at least with the bumper, I would think that the yanking force would be more evenly distributed? Just a thought.

And if he ripped out his hitch... I'd be worried too, since those are held in by 4 pretty serious bolts. If they get ripped out, He's in serious trouble! (good thing he doesnt tow?)

9. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

what ever you do:

NEVER EVER EVER EVER HOOK UP ANOTHER PERSON'S RIG!

If they got stuck, it is their job to hook the strap to their rig. I don't touch the strap after it is hooked to the Bear. there are 2 reasons for this:

1. you don't know their craftmanship at all. There was a bronco stuck in the Frame Twister in Hollister last year. I hooked up my strap, and handed it to him. He asked where to put it and all i said was "the strongest point on your rig."

I started to tug and his front bumper snapped off. guess it wasn't as strong as he thought. if i had hooked it up, it would have been my fault. CYA

2. If they hook it up, its their fault. see above example.

10. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

The same thing happened to me about a month ago. My buddy got his Jeep stuck, I hooked the strap to my truck and he hooked around his bumper, you guessed it, that new chrome smitty-built bumper got tore clean off /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. To make things worse when I finally got him out the left rear tire (36" ground-hawg) had a hole cut in the side wall that I could put my fist into. Needless to say he was not a happy camper.

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

my .02, a 2" is just not enough for our trucks and I've snapped and tied mine back together 3 or 4 times now. Never had a 3 or 4".

12. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I have been contemplating this myself... I have a 4"x30' 2-ply strap with cordura ends. It is tough as tough can be. I have the factory tow hooks up front which are good, and then I use a heavy duty bolt-type clevis in my hitch on the rear. Recently we were attempting to pull someone who was stuck in a mud hole. I have pulled plenty of people out but this time was very different! I always use 4Lo to pull people and start out gently with no jerking. No go on this one so I jerked just a little. I stopped very suddenly, bending my transfer case main shaft, busting off the tailshaft and slip yoke, breaking my rear driveshaft and subsequently, putting good dent in my r.h. muffler. Also my husband broke both front D44 axle shafts on his K20. We broke 2 smaller straps (2x20, old one that was frayed already) and a brand new cheap 3x30. Although my strap held up beautifully, I wonder if it just didn't have enough stretch and that is why our trucks broke. The guy who we were attempting to pull ended up with the front bumper and also the rear hitch ripped off. Any thoughts on this? We are hoping for a winch for Christmas /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I second that Zakk!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Oh and I have had great luck with the Keeper brand too!

14. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You are right.
    I was lucky that day in Pismo, she didn't say anything but her truck was damaged, all the other trucks I pulled out that day, I asked them to hook up. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I think she was greatfull enough that I pulled her out, she didn't dare say anything except thank you, since no one else wanted to try and pull her out.

15. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i like Keeper and the Pro Comp brand. we thrashed that one pulling Liftedassdodge out and it still worked. gotta love it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

The thing that I have found to work great for both towing and recovery is a snich down strap from a log truck/ low boy trailer. You can get these from many truck stops or any truck garage/parts ware house. I'm not sure of the exact price, I think around $60, on them as I got mine from my uncle. They tend t o have only one ring on one end but I have just tied a square knot on the other other end. (hint: try to keep the knot on your vehicle because once it get some mud or ice on it, it is there to stay until you can clean it up.) I have yet to see one break or come off while in use and many of my friends use this method with this strap as well. You can also have a loop or ring sewed into it at a local upolstry shop. We had on hooked to a '67 chev. that was really stuck in the mud and on the other end a D7 Cat. outfitted with tracks, didn't break, fray, or strech. Worked great. They are about 5 or 6 inches wide and come in various lenghts I think, mine is appox. 45 or 50 feet long, too long some would say but you don't have to use it all with the not method, and in many instances really long works to your advantage. That will probably be the only time I'm able to say that!! Just an idea, they are a hell of alot better than those 20 and 30 footers that are 2 and 3 inches wide, I THINK>>> Good luck.

17. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I have plenty of those straps, I pick them up on the freeway, they fall off the trucks.
    I have sewn a loop on the other end, and they are great for towing, or pulling out someone, but they don't stretch so a tug will brake something.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

If it's a stock bumper, it's not the grade of the bolts but the thickness of the steel that is the problem. The chrome bumpers are WAY too thin and will just tear out or bend around the bolts. If you build up a solid custom bumper out of heavy tube and have a good mount to the frame, then it's not a problem.

Also, about the strap issue... make sure the clevises you use to hook the straps up to the truck (if your not using tow hooks) are at least 3/4" pin size and maybe even 1" pin for real heavy rigs. I got hooked up to a hummer after it fell through 8 inches of ice into a 3 foot deep hole. We stalled the M12000 double lined back to the truck (24000 lbs) so someone had the bright idea that I could pull him out (with bald 33's and 3.08's! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif) I figured I'd humor everyone and give it a couple tugs, then go call for some real help. I didn't pay attention to how the strap was hooked to the hummer and took off to the races. The first tug, with about 5 feet of slack in the strap, and the clevis from the hummer end came through my brand new tailgate! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif It turns out they used a tiny little clevis that uses a cotter pin to hold the main pin in (instead of threading in) and it spread apart. So now we check all the recovery gear someone has before it gets used on the trail. I've seen some scary things on the trail but that was the worst cause I could have been killed.

Ok, I just realized how much I typed so lecture mode is off now /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Like zakk, I never hook up the end of the tow device on the stuck vehicle. I hand it to the other person and ask them to "Hook it to the part of your truck that you want me to pull out". /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Then I make sure that they don't connect it in such a way that my $40 strap is going to get cut in half by a sharp part of their bumper or something. Many years ago I came upon a guy in a Chevy Luv that was buried in the mud. He looped the strap around the top bar of his grille guard and insisted that it was stong enough. I didn't even yank, just tightened the strap and it pulled his grille guard straight out in front of his truck. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

A much better solution than 30 mph, full throttle slams against the end of the strap is to tie trucks together in a train. Then no one needs to yank. When you have 8 or 12 wheel drive doing the pulling, the stuck truck will come right out and no one ends up with parts ripped off their truck from yanking too hard. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

20. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

All good information except the using Tie down straps as recovery straps. They don't streach so might as well use chain because it will kill you quicker.
    A lot of choosing a strap has to do with terrain. Deep mud then yes a 30-40K is usefull. I run Tellico and trails like it and 2x30 20k has been perfect. Used the same Keeper strap for 6 years now and no problems.
    A lot of strap failure is owners fault. If you get mud on a strap you need to clean it. The dirt acts like razor blades to the fibers in the strap. Straps can be damaged by the sun so when not in use store them in a Dark DRY place.
    Personnaly I like Keeper brand. Double sewn eyes with a extra peice in the loops to protect the strap from the hook.