Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tow Straps Whats best?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 78Blazer, Dec 23, 2001.

1. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

What is the best kind of strap to buy and where is best to get them?

Scott
    78blazer

2. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

NIce to have an assortment of different stuff.

You want something short and lightweight for those situations where you just slipped a tire into a hole or something. 2"x25' fits the bill for this. Wally World has em cheap. Get the one with no hooks. Might want to get 2 or 3 of these, as they can be used for different things, and they do break sometimes.

Then you need something big and long that you can snatch on pretty good. (I can hear it now [​IMG])
    4"x100' or maybe one of those big heavy ropes (1" dia or better). Keep in mind that the heavier the rope, the more damage it can do if it breaks, so don't snatch too hard. $WPW has the 4" straps under the ProComp name.

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i got 2 30k# procomps and a cut up Keeper 20k for people w/o recovery spots

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

4. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

I have a 4" wide one that i have totally abused and never had a problem with... Buying a strap is one investment you dont want to go cheap on,.... spend the dough and feel confident everytime you go to get it!!! Also... get yourself a about an 18" piece of medium size chain and some of those threaded type chain connectors to use for the times when you cant hook to a tow hook, this way you can make a loop around sharp metal objects... this will keep you from cutting your expensive strap, and you wont have to tie it in a knot that you'll never get out.

1990 K5 4" lift, 33's, 3.73's Raptor Tranny and Velvet Rides....

5. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I got mine off a Navy ship. They're about 2" diameter and 30' long. It's the same rope that they use to tie the ships to the dock. If you know anyone in the Navy or Marine Corps they might be able to get you a piece.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chvyhs>WebShot Pics</a>

6. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I have a 40,000 pound Keeper strap...one of the ones that acts like a rubber band. It helps if you want to pull out a heavier truck.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

7. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

If you have any rivers around you try to get some rope they use to tie barges to the docks. I've got about 85 feet of it and I guarantee you won't break it. I got it at a yard sale from a guy that works at a dam on the Mississippi for $12. The only problem is they're so bulky and take up alot of space, you really hate to carry them all the time. But they're great to throw in for a day of mud running.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

8. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

20k lb capacity straps you get at autozone are great for small tugs and are very small and easy to carry.. my friend has a 100k 5in 30ft strap that is unbreakable... my friends hitch and another guys bumper came off and i got the guy out finally after 10 tugs and the rope still looks in its original condition... its really heavy though and takes upa lot of space. procomp makes good ones but expensive, jc whitney carries 60k 6" straps wich look good. I might get one of those or a 40k one.

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.
    In desperate need of a rebuild.
    Next- Eaton mech locker... Flows.

9. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

I got the one I use at TSC (tractor supply company) its a 4 x 35 foot and I've abused it hard, two years now, they have sizes from 2 inch to 6 inch monsters you could snatch a semi with..... I would suggest that whatever kind you get, is to throw it in Momma's washer and get the dirt out of it everyother trip, the dirt will actually cut the small fibers making it a strap ready to snap at any given time.

White Knight

10. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Assuming you're starting with nothing, a common 2" wide, 30' strap is a good start. Expect to pay around $25-$30. Get one without hooks on the ends (just loops), and maybe a D-shackle or 2. A short tree-saver strap is nice to have too, especailly if you have a winch.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

11. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

12. 79ChevySB

79ChevySB 1/2 ton status

Im running a ProComp 30,000 strap and it is the best. Got it at 4Wheel parts and it came with free tow hooks.

13. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have a couple of 3" 30' 30k lb straps from 4WPW. I think they are named Canyon Crawler. Not too expensive, but they are quite effective. I also carry a couple of shackles. I have no tow hooks in the rear and use the shackle through the hitch platform top attach the strap. When we hit the offroad adventures, I usually hook it up to the hitch platform and leave it there for the duration. I throw it up on the top in the roof rack when it isn't being used. I have never been towed (yet), so I am usually the one doing the towing. Nice to already have it ready when you need it. The second strap I keep in my box until I need more reach and the person I am towing doesn't have one. I use the shackle to attach the two. I have found that to work well and is cost effective, too.

From my days of wheeling many years ago, I also found it safe to replace the strap every couple of years, depending on actual use. And, if you leave it exposed to the sun, replace it more frequently. Ultraviolet rays really are tough on these straps.

Don't get one with hooks! They can do some real damage if they come flying at you on breakage. Keep that same thing in mind if linking two straps with a shackle. One of the straps breaks and the shackle is going to be flying somewhere.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!