Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tow Straps...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Capman2k, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

My parents bought me this roadside emergency kit thing with some jumper cables, a tow strap, and a flashlight... as well as some other stuff that's not very useful to anyone...

Anyway, the tow strap is good for 1,666 lbs... Is that a pretty good one, or should I go pick up a bigger one somewhere??? Keep in mind I have an Explorer. I probably won't be trying to pull semis out of ditches... Maybe a K5 or two /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif...

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yikes, seems pretty light duty to me... in a pinch i might try and use it... but I wouldnt wanna be near it if it snapped. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

j

3. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

Well, just to let you know, my tow strap is rated at 30,000 lbs /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I dont think I would use that to take my dog for a drag /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

If i owned an Furd Exploder, i would have the most HD recovery equipment in the world! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

on a serious note, as long as the strap doesn't have those metal hooks on it, it will be fine for light recovery.

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

My guess is that tow strap is designed for use when your vehicle is dead on the road somewhere and you need to tow it somewhere. Or you performing the same to another person. But all onroad with little resistance.

That strap is NOT for extraction purposes. My guess is that it also has some hooks on it. Again, this is for on-road towing, not for offroad use, towing, or extraction. You will hurt someone if you try and use it that way.

I always carry with me a couple of 30,000 pound straps and a couple of 20,000 pound straps. These do not have any metal parts to them at all and require tow hooks or shackle attachment points on the vehicle to use.

6. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

You might be ok if you need to pull out a motorcycle...I would NOT snatch with it. I like my explorer Procomp 40,000lb strap. It has a working load of almost 18,000 lbs.