Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tow truck...can s10 handle it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigBurban350, May 2, 2003.

1. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Do you think an S-10 4.3 litre can haul a K-5 with a car dolly without putting excessive strain on it? They are cheap and get better gas mileage then a fullsive. Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I honestly wouldn't do it. It can, but that truck won't last long pulling a load like that. Besides, it just isn't as safe.

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Agreed

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

can it move it? Yeah. Can it move it at freeway speeds? I wouldnt. In some silly ways, I think its safer to flat tow it.

7. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I have an 87 S-10 and I would have to say NO! I don't think there would be any way for an S-10 to stop with a fullsize anything in tow.

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I have towed my K5 with my '01 Blazer(2WD, 4dr, 4.3 Vortec) across town and it did fine. I kept the speed below 30mph and I would NOT recommend trying to get on the highway with the setup. It's works for emergencies but I would not try to save money by trying to make an S-10 a tow rig...

9. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

IF you had a drivetrain that COULD handle the load, the frame of the s-10 would crumble like a frenchmen on the front lines under the weight of the K5.

10. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

I have a 98 S-10 with a vortec 4.3. Its regular cab short bed with and a standard. I use to pull a 21 foot kenner bay boat with a 200 mercury with no trouble. 5th gear at about 60 on flat highways. I wouldnt go with anything heavier than that boat but I dont know what it weighs. I would think not on a one ton K5 but maybe a stock. This truck also has 100K miles on it and the only thing thats been replaced is the belt and tires. I also guaranty you that is the worst 100K miles a 2wd s-10 has seen. Best truck I have ever owned and I love smoking decked out cromed up fullsizes off the line with it. Itll burn third nicely. The fact that this truck is white and has not been washed in over 3 years makes that even more humiliating. Put all that together for a 24 MPG vehicle at the price they come and its a damn good package. Spend about $700 to that engine on programmer, exhaust, intake it will really come alive.

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Do you think an S-10 4.3 litre can haul a K-5 with a car dolly without putting excessive strain on it?

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif ROTFLMFAO!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've had to do a panic stop in my '91 S-Jimmy at freeway speed, while towing just a mini-truck-bed-converted-to-a-trailer, "loaded" down with a 14-bolt FF and a 10-bolt. It was scary as hell!!! The 4.3 can get a lot of weight moving, but that tiny-a$$ truck can NOT stop a heavy load. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

If you want to tow heavy loads, you need something designed to do that job. An S-10 does NOT fall into that category. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif If you want good mileage in a tow vehicle, start looking at turbo diesel powered fullsize trucks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

shouldn't be a problem. In fact, the 4 cylinder engines get even better gas mileage. Why dont you go for one of those? And get a fullsize trailer to pull your K5. Yeah, then you'll have the best of both worlds. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

If there was a lake with 1/2" of ice on it... and you REALLY needed to get to the other side and just decided you didn't want to go around the dang thing... would you just get a running start and see if you could make it? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Somewhere in there is the motto to this entire thread... hrmm....

-Dan

15. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Hell no!

I just dragged my 79 110 miles on a car trailer with a 454 burb and I felt every bit of that 7500lb.

16. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Kinda like 1 day old crusty french bread... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    IF you had a drivetrain that COULD handle the load, the frame of the s-10 would crumble like a frenchmen on the front lines under the weight of the K5.

[/ QUOTE ]

17. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Aight, I get the point! Thanks for the feed back though /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif.

18. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

No. Even if the engine can get it going...can the brakes handle stopping it? I doubt it.