Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tow vehicle ideas

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Sep 20, 2001.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Ok, it'll be about a year away, but I want to have a good idea of what to do first. What I want for a tow rig is a Dodge (yeah i said dodge sue me) one ton, H.O. cummins and 6 spd, 4.10 geared quad cab 4x4 with the work truck package. I'll be pulling a 28' trailer on the bumper about twice a month as well as various goosenecks, ect when i have to. My dillemma comes in rear end selection.

Option #1: go with single rear wheel. Would be fine for most situations, easier to park, easier to maneuver, ok pulling most trailers. But not as stable with a big load, not as much of a weight rating, and I've heard unstable with a camper.

Option #2: Dually. Harder to maneuver, park, fit into places. But easier to tow WHATEVER I ever needed to.

Option #3 Cab and chassis. About the same outside track as the single wheel truck with the benefit of dual rear wheels. Best of both worlds except for the custom bed and I don't want to look like a farmer all the time. I'd like a truck with a little style. Now as I work in a truck equipment family, any configuration of bed is pretty much available, but man, they still look a little too "work".

Option #4 Get the cab and chassis truck, and obtain a long wheelbase bed. custom tub out the inner wheelwells, and modify it to fit on the cab and chassis bed, thus looking like a single rear wheel truck but being something much better. What do yall think? I'm not completely sure the measurements would match up well, but they visually look about the same....

I'll be pulling about a 10K trailer too. Anyway, this is a long way off, i'm just daydreaming right now.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>THE OFF- ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS!!
    </font color=red>

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd just go dually...I don't think they are any wider than a cab and chassis. The cab and chassis's are made for an 8 foot width flat deck normally. i think the dually appears to be wider because of the rear fenderwells. you could confirm the width at the Dodge dealer I guess, but our old ford cab and chassis was a wide pig...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Ditto on the dually!! I do like some of the newer "western hauler" beds for the chassis cab, but the dually is a helluva bunch cheaper in the long run.

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I would go dually. My dad has a one ton F**d with single rear wheel, and I hauls well, but if I were going to haul what you are I would get a dually. They are a pain to park, but with trucks like those you have to get used to parking in the back forty and walking a little more.

5. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Without starting any flames. I want to add that the new Duramax is stronger and more fuel efficient than the Cummins.

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!

6. They are also running an Allison tranny that may actually be bulletproof!

God has a hard on for Marines, because we keep Heaven chock full of fresh souls!

7. Mr.Chevy4x4

Oh, I almot forgot. Also much quieter!

8. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Also has aluminum heads, a big no no on a diesel.

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings
    SPEAK SOFTLY AND DRIVE A BIG TRUCK

9. Mr.Chevy4x4

You think GM would be puting them in there vehicles if it hadn't been thoroughly tested first? And just because they are the first to do it doesn't make it a "no no"! Nitro dragsters are producing over 5000 horsepower with aluminum heads, so I think they will stand up to a little more abuse than what you give them credit for. Obvoiusly they are doing something right, like I said before: it is producing pore power and fuel mileage than Furd or Dodge.

10. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

UH OH! Here we go again! Wheres Pete? LOL! I personally like the Powerstroke.

Maybe I spent too much time working at a Ford dealer?

I get all the exercise I need pushing my luck! [​IMG]

11. BlueBlazer

How many dragsters do you see tow 15000 lbs across the country and go 300,000 miles before rebuilds.

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings

12. Mr.Chevy4x4

We don't want to start this debate! I personally know 2 people who have had their new F250 powerstroke trucks declared lemons under the lemon law. You can't begin to imagine the number of problems these two guys had with their trucks. Mostly electrical and transmission though.

13. Pure Insanity

They are actually Ezoozoo motors. I really shouldnt say that I prefer the Powerstroke I just prefer the F super duty. If GM had just put a damn solid axle under the new trucks all would be fine.

14. BlueBlazer

Did you think I was defending the Powerjoke. You got me all wrong. They are way to costly to repair and have a lot of little problems that can keep the motor from running (cam sensor). The pre computer Cummins motors is the best light truck diesel by far. Have you ever taken one apart. Huge main bearings and crank, everything steel and iron, great fuel system. The Duramax is way to gas like and the aluminum heads are already showing signs of weakness in the form of blown head gaskets.

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Izuzu has always had a good rep for their deisel engines, we used them a lot for industrial Generator sets...but I guess time will tell if the aluminum heads are a bad idea or not. I'll save my money and wait.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

16. Mr.Chevy4x4

I'm not going to get into flames with you. My point was that aluminum is much stronger than most people think. A 350 oldsmobile gas motor was never meant to be a diesel either, but it became one!

17. BlueBlazer

Youre right, no more arguing. I get pretty worked up sometimes when it comes to what diesel is best. :)

18. Pure Insanity

DING DING DING! Round 2!

19. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Personally, I'd want a more time tested motor than the DuraMax, just for the purposes of parts availability and ease of at home repair. Cummins and Powerstrokes have been around a long time in one form or another - As have the 6.2 and 6.5 diesels. From what I can tell, the DuraMax is a good design - Caterpillar and Cummins have both been fooling with aluminum heads off and on for years, so they can't be too bad. But I know that I'll never own a DuraMax, not unless GM decides to give it to me for free[​IMG] Why not go whole hog, and get a crew cab C60 with a 3208 Cat and slap a dually pickup bed on it??

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

20. Pure Insanity

Worked up is 1 way to put it BB62, youd think he called your momma names!

Just trying to lighten the mood! Dont kill me!! [​IMG]