Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tow weight ???

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by alec78, Jan 5, 2004.

1. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Is it reasonably possible for me to tow a 3/4t 4x4 Suburban with my K5? If it is possible I would consider installing a tranny fluid cooler and temp gage.

My currect choices are my K5 (afraid the 700 would give out) or my brothers F250 (his clutch is on the end of life)

Thoughts????

2. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

you forgot option C
    Join AAA and have them tow it :-)

3. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Only problem with that is the burban is in Indiana and going to Kansas City, maybe as far as Denver. Any thoughts with this new info I shoulda gave in the first place?

4. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

The 6.2 would do it, just not very fast. Your biggest concern should be how short of a truck you are going to be towing with. If the 'burb is on a trailer, you are looking at a long trailer with a LOT of weight. I would be really worried about the setup pushing the K5 out of its way. The 6.2 has a lot more grunt than most people give it credit for. It may be slow, but it would get the job done. The 700R4, get fresh fluid in it and get the cooler. Then worry about the rear 10 bolt /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

That's what I was thinking. I guess I wanted to hear it from someone else. Thanks!

6. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Is this for you? How far into Iniana is the truck? I'm up or a road trip. Maybe we could work out something.

7. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Yes its for me. The suburban is in Terra Haute (sp?), which is on the IN and IL boarder on I-70.

My family and my wife's family lives in Kansas City which is a little over half way. Nothing like a good FREE place to stay and rest!

PM me if you want to see what we can do!!! Help would not be turned down!!!

Thanks