Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tower went up this last weekend.

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Z3PR, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm putting up 40 foot of my tower this weekend. Did my prep work today. Painted the tower primer grey, got the guy wire, and clamps and the rest of the hardware needed. Just waiting for Sat. morning so some friends can help me put the tower up. Also ordered a ground plane kit for my IMAX 2000 base antenna. Went with the 2 day shipping so it'll be here by sat. I currently have 25 to 30 foot mast. I'll use a 10 foot piece of mast out the top of the tower. It'll be nice to get my antenna up in the air !!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Re: Tower going up this weekend.

Yep...Best thing for a vertical is to get it up in the air !
    The higher, the better.
    My next one is going to be a 55 or 70 footer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've had this tower dissasembled under the deck sence spring. 4 sections (10 footers) are good, so I want to get it up befor winter. This tower + mast, should get my antenna up about twice as high as it is now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'll post pics after it's all up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif For a vertical antenna, I'm very impressed with the IMAX 2000. I highly recomend it if you talk on either 10 or 11 meter.

4. 88Silverado

I run a beam on 10 & 11 meters /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd love to have a beam, but I live in a extreamly high winds area, and most beams around here don't last very long. If I had a crank up tower, I might go for a PDL2. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've had this tower dissasembled under the deck sence spring.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cutting it close aren't ya /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Isn't it already starting to get chilly up there?

Nothing like getting up high. I put up a 40ft pole with a vhf verticle and beam a few weeks ago and am still going nuts with the range I have now.

You'll enjoy yourself I'm sure.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 88Silverado

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd love to have a beam, but I live in a extreamly high winds area, and most beams around here don't last very long

[/ QUOTE ]
    I live in the high desert.
    I have clocked wind gusts in excess of 75mph /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    I had the mounting plate on the top beam break off and destroyed the rotor twice. This is with it at 40' /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I have friends up here that have 120' towers and I have no idea how they keep antennas on them.

[​IMG]

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I've had this tower dissasembled under the deck sence spring.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cutting it close aren't ya /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Isn't it already starting to get chilly up there?

Nothing like getting up high. I put up a 40ft pole with a vhf verticle and beam a few weeks ago and am still going nuts with the range I have now.

You'll enjoy yourself I'm sure.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] 72 degrees today. Saterday is suposta be 70. But yeah, I do tend to put things off till the last momment. It should be fun putting the tower up. Some friends are comming over to help. We're planning on starting on it around 9ish, so it should be up by noon. Luckly there are no overhead power lines around here, all wires are ran underground. (Power, cable TV, telephone, ... ect. all underground.) Just got some tree branchs to fight with, but shouldn't be too bad. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I have clocked wind gusts in excess of 75mph

[/ QUOTE ] Thats normal around here. We have had winds of over 150mph , but that's not offen. Spring time we see 90mph to 110mph winds alot, but by summer it settles down.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[​IMG] Tower is up. Alittle crooked, just like me, LOL.

11. 88Silverado

Looks Great /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

As far as im concerned, an antenna sitting on top of a tower is a clear sign of our Freedom of Speech.

Many countries dont allow it /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I ordered a ground plane kit for it on the first, with 2 day air shipping. Today is the 6th and it still hasn't arived. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'm not overly thrilled about climbing the tower to install it, but I will. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

13. 88Silverado

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm not overly thrilled about climbing the tower to install it, but I will.

[/ QUOTE ]
    PLEEEEEEEZE use a climbing belt. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    Thats a loooooong way down. My friend is confined to a wheel chair after a fall from his 40 footer /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm not overly thrilled about climbing the tower to install it, but I will.

[/ QUOTE ]
    PLEEEEEEEZE use a climbing belt. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    Thats a loooooong way down. My friend is confined to a wheel chair after a fall from his 40 footer /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I've got a harness, (Climbing belt) , and yes, I will use. Only time it'll be off during the climb is to get past the guy wires.

15. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Make sure it's rated for 300 lbs. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. jasonkh2tg

jasonkh2tg 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I ordered a ground plane kit for it on the first, with 2 day air shipping. Today is the 6th and it still hasn't arived. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'm not overly thrilled about climbing the tower to install it, but I will. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

don't forget that your ground plane kit for you imax 2000 will not improve you DXing it might make it worse...but if all you do is talk to locals them the ground plane is the way to go....90% of my rag chewing is local so the ground plane is perfect for me...

next summer im going to get a maple removed from the yard while there at it I will have the cherry picker truck mount my imax above my 70 foot pine by 10 feet......or I can rent a bucket truk ,but it costs a ton... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

17. 88Silverado

A elevated groundplane isnt a bad DX antenna. The main lobe is around 30degs. Im not familiar with the particular antenna he is running but with any 1/4 wave vertical antenna, ground return losses in the ground path are a major factor. Adding a good groundplane reduces the losses and in the case of an elevated vertical reduces the losses of ground and helps de-couple the antenna from the earth. The problem with verticals is the brewster reflections, the reflected signal cancellation and ground losses from the far-field area several thousand feet away from the antenna. If you want a good DX antenna, hang yourself a vertical dipole antenna from a tall tree or spaced away from your tower. This will provide a very low angle radiation pattern, minimize losses and be much more efficient for DX, but if the sunspot gods arent cooperating, forget about DX.

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I bought the ground plane kit to try to elimant bleedover on my cry baby nabors. They cried to my landlord about bleedover this spring, so thats why I bought a tower, and hopefully the combo of the ground plane and being up that high will stop the bleedover. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'm upgrading my radio soon, I'm going from a Galaxy Saturn base radio to a RCI 2995 base radio

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Im not familiar with the particular antenna he is running but with any 1/4 wave

[/ QUOTE ] The IMAX 2000 is a 0.640 wave antenna like the Super Penetrator 500 Gold was. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif IMAX 2000 Exposed

20. 88Silverado

.064, we call them a 5/8 groundplane.
    There could be several causes of "bleedover" or interference. Getting your antenna as high and as far away from he neighbor is a good start. The groundplane is another good start to help de-couple common-mode currents from flowing on the outer shield of the coax. (in other words, you can get spillage of energy onto the outside of the coax which will also radiate like an antenna) You can also try a 1:1 balun or wind a coax choke at your feed to help. Make sure your coax comes straight down the tower )preferably tapped to the tower)to the ground. Then run it along the ground before bringing it back up into your house.

Now, If your running excessive power or microphone drive, you can be splattering over into adjacent channels. You didnt mention what kind of interference they were getting. Is it TV (are you on cable or outside antenna) phone (cordless), radio, baby monitor ???

IF your running clean, legal and with a good installation (well grounded, short wires, etc) there may be nothing you can do and the problem (and responsibility) could be with your neighbors product. YOU must first make sure your station is clean. Do you interfere with your stuff??

Heres a link to assist you with interference, and possible defective neighbors products.
    FCC-RFI Information Pages