Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

towing 2tons with 1/2 ton brakes

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by tecton, Apr 30, 2004.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

what a bad idea

never towed anything that big with my k5 and then out of the blue, opportunity for $ knocks....so i tow a 2ton trailer loaded with construction scrap about 50 miles highway

the brakes were almost totally useless...i had to downshift all the way to first and then brake about 5 times farther than i normally do

i dont know too much about towing so excuse my newbiness...just wanted to comment

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Larger tires+ stock brakes= already reduced braking power. (Larger tires add more leverage, and diminish brake power).

4000+ scrap, Its ok. But did your trailer have brakes? If not, your seriously stressing out the brakes. I did 3500 unbraked, and blued my rotors from the heat.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You should not be towing more than 2,000 lbs without brakes, and even that is pushing it.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    what a bad idea

never towed anything that big with my k5 and then out of the blue, opportunity for $ knocks....so i tow a 2ton trailer loaded with construction scrap about 50 miles highway

the brakes were almost totally useless...i had to downshift all the way to first and then brake about 5 times farther than i normally do

i dont know too much about towing so excuse my newbiness...just wanted to comment

[/ QUOTE ]

I have done worse when I had to tow a suburban 3/4 ton 4wd on a 7k lbs trailer and my 1/2 truck didn't have a brake controler, but at the same time I didn't go over 45MPH on Highway and 25-35 mph o surface streets.
    It wasn't the easiest drive but it worked fine and didn't have any close calls or faded my brakes.
    Always go slow when towing, and slower when towing with no brakes.

5. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

This weekend I'll be towing a 4,500 lb. K5 on a no-brake trailer with 4 wheel manual drums. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Good thing the truck isn't even capable of going over 40, and it's a 3/4 ton longbed. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    This weekend I'll be towing a 4,500 lb. K5 on a no-brake trailer with 4 wheel manual drums. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Good thing the truck isn't even capable of going over 40, and it's a 3/4 ton longbed. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing I also forgot to mention, I only towed it for 12 miles, not accross country. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif