Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Towing a blazer with a blazer?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Sep 21, 2002.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ever doen this? Is it safe? Or is it just fine? I will be driving from tacoma Wa to Stockton CA. Oh yeah I have a 305 also

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I don't see why not........Although that 305 is gonna make for a damn miserable towing experience. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. JimmyJuneau

Whats the best way to tow a blazer with a blazer?

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

The best way would be to put the Blazer your towing on a trailer. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Or atleast the front up on a dollie and remove rear driveshaft. It's hard on the front pump in automadic transmissions to tow even in nutreal. Can't be too good for the transfer case either.

6. Hunden

Hunden Registered Member

Just make sure the trailer has Brakes.
    I just towed a SWB 4x4 with my SWB 4x2. The trailer brakes saved my A**.

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Eek. I'd reconsider. Flat-towing it would involve disconnecting driveshafts on the towed Blazer, plus you get tire wear and tranny/t-case lube concerns.

So you end up with a flatbed trailer. You have a 5000#+ truck and a ~1500# trailer, and you want to tow it with a Blazer? SCARY!

I say this 'cuz I just towed a Blazer home ... with my 3/4 ton Burb.

Now, I did Vegas to San Francisco, so we had some GNARLY hills coming out of Vegas. I was puckered to the seat for bits, and was doing 20MPH, in first gear up the hills. Or going downhill, trying not to break, say, 40MPH, without slamming on the brakes. Trailer brakes would help here.

On I5 coming north, I was OK, except I couldn't get above 60MPH, and if a semi went by, I got sucked into its draft and wiggled like hell. (Doesn't help that the Blazer on the back is a Chalet, which is as aerodynamic as a 7' 9" tall fiberglass brick.)

If you have a 700R4 you WILL fry it trying a stunt like that, IMHO. My TH400, with a hoooge B&M aux cooler, was awful toasty -- again, didn't help that ambient temperature was 115F at times ;-)

You'll also find that the rental places won't rent you a trailer unless you have a 3/4 ton tow vehicle.

Even on flat terrain at medium speed, a long trip like that is asking for trouble. Tow capacity is about overkill and safety margin ;-)

-- A

8. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I think Rene would be the resident Blazer towing Blazer expert. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Yea, where is Rene on this one?!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

-Dan

10. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Definitely get a trailer. My truck handles a whole lot better when I pull my K30 on the trailer rather than with a tow bar(can you say road walk). It still isnt too great because the trailer is too short and there is too much weight on the tongue of the trailer. I towed it in my 00 1/2 ton, v6 silverado ONCE with the towbar, and I will not do that again.

We towed a 91 Suburban with my Mom's 99 Z71(about 6000 lbs.) about 500 miles and it did great on the hills at 60 mph. My parents rented a car trailer from United Rental(?) for $50 per day and it was well worth it. It also had its own hydraulic brake setup.

If you do use a trailer be sure to get the load equalized good. If you have too much tongue weight the front end will rare up and you will loose steering and braking. If there isnt enough tongue weight the rear will raise and you could jacknife really easy if you have to stop fast.

11. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

WAHOO! Am I the only one who noticed that Dremu has a Chalet? Way cool - would love to see pics of that one.

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Get ahold of Chaz. He towed 1FNHIK5 home from Hollister a few months ago. Chaz is on 37, the truck getting towed is on 44's. What a sight that was. Chaz does have a manual tranny though.

13. nevercomplete

nevercomplete 1/2 ton status

I towed my blazer with my '97 S-10...I'm not too bright though.

14. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    here is Chazz (yellow Blazer) getting ready to tow 1FNHIK5(red 1st gen.).
    Not the greatest pic though
    [​IMG]

15. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I'v never towed a Blazer but I towed a 53 F100 on a car trailer about 300 miles with my Blazer with no problems. I think it weighed 4000+ pounds
    Just make sure the trailer is loaded properly and brakes work good. Do not attempt to tow that much weight without trailer brakes.

16. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

The week-end before last I towed a blazer on a trailer with no brakes the distance of about 100 miles and I have to say that it was not a pleasent experience. I never got over 45 miles at any point, not because the truck couldn't pull it but because it didn't feel safe. What ever you do make sure that both your truck and the trailer are in good condition.

17. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

we were cruzin at about 75 down the freeway without any problems...it was just kindin interesting comin off the hills /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

18. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

when we towed one of my blazers home with my dads 79 3/4 4x4..we never took any drive shafts out, we towed it with a tow bar, and just put the t-case and tranny in neutral and towed it back, and had no major problems but for the pushing and tugging motion it made...wasnt to comfortable but wasnt mush trouble..

19. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

so what are ya goin to be doin in stockton....thats my neck of the woods /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

20. JimmyJuneau

Well Im going to be looking for work as soon as I get there so if you know of any sign shops that need a experienced production person let me know. But Im actaully moving down there to be close to family.