Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Towing a crewcab.....NOT a good idea

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by 84CUCV, May 23, 2004.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I need to talk some sence into this kid. Bought one of my old crew cabs. Comes back with a 70 4x4 k5 to tow it home. I see NO WAY that could be safe!! He doesnt have the cash for a tow truck. I dont know what to do, need the cash. I dont have anything on the road that can pull it yet. What would you do?? Think i need to give back the cash.

mike

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Yes he can tow it. Just point out to him to take it very easy and keep plenty of distence in front of him to the next vehicle. If he has a decent trailer with brakes and everything on his K5 works good he should be fine hauling it. Yes it's not the ideal situation and I don't reccommend it but if he uses his head he will be fine.

3. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

If it is a kid, then it has trouble written all over it. I remember when I was a kid I always did my thinking with the skinny pedal. If you do just decide to let him do what he will. Do these two things.

1. Advise of the dangers like said before. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Make sure you both get a bill of sale. Along with year, make, model, VIN, state as is. I always under line "as is". Make sure you both sign it, date, and put the time. Time is very important incase he ends up wrecking it getting it home. Make sure you have at least 2 people you know there, when you explain the concerns about how he is getting it home. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

I just occured to me. Is he towing it with a tow strap? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif---- /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif If so, then does the engine run so he can get the vacuum for the power brakes? If so, then it might not be that bad, as long as the guy who will be in the crewcab, has a clue.

4. 84CUCV

Going to use a tow bar. I have something made up for him to sign already. Mike

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Going to use a tow bar. I have something made up for him to sign already. Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no way I would even attempt it with a tow bar. A trailer with brakes is one thing but no brakes and that much weight pushing it!

6. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

When I blew the engine in my first truck, a LWB C20, we flat towed it about 30 miles with a Z71 and had absolutely no problems. Givin, the blazer is a little shorter and the crewcab a little longer but as long as speed is kept reasonable, I think he'll be allright.

7. 84CUCV

Yea, i will see how it goes saterday. thanks guys mike

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

It can be done safely if the kid drives slow. I'm thinking he will need to stay under 20mph to have full control over it. Plus it would be wise to take the back roads and stay off of the main highways as much as possible.

9. 84CUCV

yea, we plain on doing that. I am going for the ride now as well.

mike