Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Towing a CUCV

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by daleearnhardt01, Apr 1, 2004.

1. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Problem- I just bought a CUCV, and it has no tags so I cant drive it home. Uhaul's maximum load for the trailer is 4,000lbs and maximum wheelbase is 133inches. The CUCV is 5,900lbs and has a wheelbase of 131.5inches. Any suggestions on where/how to get this thing home when it is 7hours away? Thanks for any help.

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Find a towbar, thats what i had to do to get a '78 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham here to Phoenix from San Diego, towed it behind the Burb. wasn't bad either. That car damn near weighs as much as my Burb too /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

3. badassblazer03

badassblazer03 Registered Member

Tell UHAUL that you are towing something smaller like a jetta or something, thats what i had to do for my blazer, I had to drive it over the fenders a bit but that was with 11.5 inch wide tires. It fits with some persuation, and the axles on the trailor are capable of handling the weight just fine. when in doubt get the $8 insurance /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    -Stew /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Where did you get the cucv from. Were you got to go ?

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

The only problem with that (and i have had it happen) is when your towing something as heavy or heavier than the tow vehicle, it's hard to keep the trailer from swaying back and forth, this is very scary at or near highway speeds. Thats why i mentioned the towbar, it makes the connection real close to the tow rig, and the wheels are spread further apart on the towed vehicle than the trailer is.
    IMO, it's just safer, and just as easy.

6. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Any other ideas/suggestions? Im thinkin we might have to go the U-Haul car trailer route. What do yall think of that...

7. grd2go

grd2go Registered Member

Go get a car dolly and take a few tools with you to drop a driveshaft and you will be set togo hell the tourist that come to alaska all sorts of vehicles behind their motorhomes at least 2500 miles if not farther and when you get to northern canada and alaska our roads are all screwed up.. they are easy to use and I never had problems with them you can rent one for 35 to 50 dollars a day. /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I always use a A frame tow bar. It has worked for all my trucks and feels just like you are towing a trailer. You can even run so cheap kragen lights to the back of the truck if you wanna /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif