Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Towing a K5....and blowing the th400 kinda long

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84CUCV, Aug 3, 2005.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

My bud just put his M1009 back on the road. Heres the run down. no idea what the true miles are. Been sitting about 2 years. truck has been used for about two weeks. One night we went all out on the truck. New glow plugs, oil, air and fuel filter. Did the rears and put a lockright and 33" bfgs on why we where at it. Then we did the 400. We dont know much, still learning as we go. the atf had a off red color, it didnt smell burnt, but it did not smell right. Showed him and he said it has been great for two weeks so might as well why we are here. So we did it. Seamed fine. He had a work so i towed for him to save him some trouble. Small 2 axle trailer. 75 k5 with no motor or trans or case. So i think that is a lot of weight gone there. About a little over a hour into it i pull over for food.I was thinking it hada lot of miles on it. Just seamed to not want to go. Let it sit for about 15 or so and run. When i cam back out tried to go, nothing all i could do was to back up. WTF This is his only ride and now i kill it. So now i need to fix it. Can some please tell me what the hell i did?? just sold two th400 to. SCREW ME now i cant my truck back on the road anyway is 800 a lot for a rebuilt 400? Thanks again guys. Please reply need to get this done.

mike

2. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Don't M1009's come with 3.08 gears??? If the truck has 3.08's and 33's, that convertor was probably slipping like crazy making that ATF almost boil.

3. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

and the military runs thm with 31's iirc and so i am told. so... 33's would be the next stepup. yes it would seem like no power with the tires but i dont think the transmission would work that much harder than with 31's. but thsta me never having had a 33 tired m1009 :dunno:

4. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

now i think of it. been sitting a long time... transmissions do not like sitting. had an 83 c-10. worked great till i went in the army. 1 1/2-2 years later i start it up and move from barn. smoked worse than a chimney and trans slipped worse than a dragster on a greased road in winter. barely able to move. seals need the propper fluids to keep them good otherwise we have problems. ;)

5. 84CUCV

Great..yea, pete there is 3.08s. We didnt think 2" taller would matterto much. Shows how much we know. Damn this sucks :(

6. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

mine sat for awhile{4 years} and it worked fine till a week ago. :dunno: i hate auto trans. :angry1: i knew i should have pulled the 4 speed outta my friends before he junked it. :mad: :mad:

7. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

yeah but if it was a dd running all the time it would be fine. :p:

8. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

but now that i think about it, my 89 6.2/th400 3.73 32's 2500 burb had been registered last in 99.... so... yeah mines running great currently. have changed the fluid and filter still shifts gret when changing gears. :screwy: maybe they are just more likely to fail when they have not been run so the seals do not get the propper fluid and all. :dunno:

9. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

also very sorry to hear about your mishap mike :(

10. Bunker Buster

Bunker Buster Registered Member

$800 to rebuild a 400 is crazy high. A fellow club member with an M1028 had his 400 rebuilt locally to factory specs and only cost him $150 w/o converter. I had one race prepped with a manual valve body, heavy duty clutches, etc... and it only cost me $150 w/0 the converter. That tranny is behind a BB and sees track time, hard street time on a regular basis for the last two years and is still running strong.

11. 84CUCV

OK any online places to send a trans too?? thx

12. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

it was a DD but ,your right now that i think of it i did use it once in awhile.but it did sit for four years after i started on it. :rolleyes:

13. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

There is a guy in the Lakewood area that rebuilds trannies for good prices. I will get the name of his shop in the morning.

14. 84CUCV

Cool thanks pete. need this done very soon. mike

15. 84CUCV

Could i put a 88 sub 700r4 in his m1009? that way it would be free. thx

16. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

but like i said... my current dd burb had sat for about 10 yars. po i bought it from never registered it.... so it didnt run and move that much ya know? so there is a lot to be said for do not let yer seals get dried out and lose things like in letting them sit. but what about my burb's case? i guess i should check fluid levels since i have not done so since chaning them lol