Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

towing a K5 with a '05 Tahoe

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dodgedude99, Jun 13, 2005.

1. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

ok, my stepson bought a 89 K5 Jimmy this weekend when he ws visiting his Grandparents just outside of Kalamazoo, Mich. this weekend.

my wife and him started the trek back to the burbia of Chicago yesterday.
    she was following him in her Tahoe, something happen and the K5 just died and wouldnt start. my Father in law was called and they pulled it back to his house 10-15 miles or so.
    the local mechanic thinks its the fuel pump, wants $400 to replace it, i saw no because i have an extra tank/pump from my '88 k5.

so i need to tow the K5 approx 150-160 miles.
    Uhaul lists max weight for their Car Dollly at 3450#, Car Transport at 3900#.

Penske is 4300# for their Dolly, and 4055# for the Car Carrier .

the truck weighs around 4900# according to the specs on the CK5 homepage.
    any thoughts on flat towing it with a tow bar?

or am i better off trying to repair it?

2. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

personally i would flat tow it with a tow bar...just drop the drive shafts if needed..
    if you go the uhaul route..DO NOT tell them its a K5..or they won't let you rent one..tell them its a s10 blazer..

3. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

did this work but dont expect any speeds over 65

4. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

ya like mentioned above, say its an s10 blazer, they wouldnt rent me one for a k5, but my dad went in later, said he needed it for a s10 blazer... worked like a charm... suckers... weonly towed it about 10 miles, and didnt go over 55 mph...

5. dodgedude99

well id be towing it 150 miles or so.
    im thinking if i cant get it running, a tow bar and flat towing it is my best option.

6. phil21705

phil21705 Registered Member

where at u live in chitown i might be able to hook you up i am in will county in frankfort phil21705 is the email guve me a hollar

7. Luehrs1

Luehrs1 Registered Member

Is there any place that rents a trailer big enough for a K5? Im moving to Florida this month from texas and was trying to tow it with the Uhaul truck im renting.

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

:doah: :doah:
    Doesn't he know???? I think I would find another mechanic. he sounds like one of those guys that keep replacing parts till it runs,
    Before going to all that trouble you might try replacing the distributor module.
    It may have gone bad. When they go out the ECM shuts down the injectors.
    This fools many people, (mechanics included) to wrongly guessing that the fuel pump is bad.

9. dodgedude99

old thread but since you were questioning.

the truck is home, what had happen is my meathead step son had decided he was bored, took the truck out for a spin, go it stuck in a ditch (narrow dirt/sand roads, he moved over to let a car pass and the edge gave way into the marshland thats alongside the road), and in the process of having to pay the local yokal tow truck guy $180 for removal, the fuel line must of gotten knicked.

so after he bought he filled the tank, and from the time the tow truck was getting it out til he drove it the 30 miles or so to and on the highway, the fuel pump pump all the fuel out from the hole in the hardline.

so long story short, i put gas in it, and it fired right up.

BUT being it has no floors (unless you count 1/4" sheet aluminum bolted to whats left of the trans hump and rocker a floor) i didnt want to drive it 120 miles.

so i just flat towed it with the 05 Tahoe, it had no problem pulling or stopping, i could barely feel it was back there.
    AND the Tahoe still got 15 miles to the gallon.