Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Towing a trailer with Blue85

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blue85, Apr 6, 2003.

1. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I have searched and found a lot of good info, but I want some more specific advice. Should I tow this thing?

My idea is to borrow my buddy's travel trailer and tow it across Michigan into Illinois this summer. He says that the trailer weighs 7000lbs, but I'm not sure he really knows. I surely have no idea how much trailers weigh. It is pretty long and dual axle. He tows it with a '93 1/2 ton 2WD sub, 350 engine, factory tow package and no modifications.

Since I have about 5" in my suspension and 35's, my rig is about a foot higher than his. I have 350 crate engine, RV/towing rebuilt 700 with big 'ol cooler, 4.10 gears and rear 14B S/F. I have a hitch that seems to be custom. It is beefier than any of the receiver hitches I've seen for sale. The only problem is that it hangs down too low (and hence has been sitting in the garage), which may be an advantage here. I will install a trailer brake controller such as this: brake controller . I will tow in 3rd gear with the torque converter lock-up enabled and keep my speed down to 60mph or so.

Are my plans bad? Any other advice?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Have a good look inside the travel trailer. Usually on the inside of one of the closet doors there is a spec sheet, and it lists all sorts of cool info there. Most important to you is dry weight of the trailer.

We have an older (1976) 21 foot travel trailer that weighs aboput 4500 lbs dry. The newer trailers are lighter than the older ones. How long is your buddy's trailer?

I'd say if the weight is closer to a true 5000 lbs loaded you should be all right. My Jimmy never had a problem towing that kind of weight. I used to tow on 35's with 3.73's and the SM 465 4 speed. 65-70 was fine on the long straight stretches, and of course I'd drive much slower as the amount of traffic increased or when I got into the mountains.

A weight distributing hitch is a big plus. It keeps the truck more planted and stable, reduces sway and makes the towing experience much more relaxed IMHO. I used a pair of bars rated for 500lbs and cranked em pretty hard. Any bigger a trailer and I would have used the 750 lb bars.

I used the Teshonka brake controller and was quite happy with it's operation. It was easy to adjust and once it was dialed in the braking was very good.

With a borrowed trailer I'd take the time to dis-assemble the wheels, check the amount of wear left on the brakes and re-pack the bearings. Trailers are notorious for being under maintained and it's a pretty quick job that'll give you some peace of mind.

Rene