Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Towing Ability

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kajun_K5, Aug 16, 2001.

1. Kajun_K5

Kajun_K5 Registered Member

Guys and Gals,

When ya'll decided to go to larger tires and change gears, what kind of effect to it have on your ability to tow. I still have a stock unit but I want to go to 35's with 4.56. I like to use my rig to pull my camper for hunting and my ski boat. Will i have any trouble?

Why the hell not?
    http://www.geocities.com/daniel_ray_deville/My_Blazer/my_blazer.htm

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I tow with my lifted Jimmy. We have a 21 foot camper trailer and I've been known to flat tow a K5 or two cross country.

I find it tows fine but I've never towed with a lower long wheelbase truck for comparison.

I usually tow with my 35" General Grabber MT's and 3.73 gears and only need to downshift on the really steep long hills. I have the 4 speed manual tranny though, so burning up the tranny isn't an issue. If you habve the 700R-4 make sure you tow in D not OD and get the biggest cooler on the planet.

Oh BTW our trailer tips the scales at about 5500 lbs.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

3. Kajun_K5

Kajun_K5 Registered Member

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

When I got my truck it had 2.73's and 33's on it with the 4 speed manual. I towed our trailer like that...once! [​IMG]

Then i found a 14 bolt and a D44 with 3.73's and swapped those in. Those are the gears I still have.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

5. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I've got a '79 with the th350 and it is my tow vehical. It's got 373's and 33's right now. It's been towing fine. A longer wheelbase truck isn't as wobbily (just fyi), but the blazer does fine. Just make sure you have a sway bar on. It really helps. I don't have one and I'm going to be pulling a loaded car hauler this weekend and am sorta dreading it. It should be fine, I just have to be careful. Make dang sure your brakes are up to par.

It's been lovely, but I have to scream now.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>

6. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

i do not think it should change your towing ability much, you may even notice the engine
    strains less with the new set up
    i have 411 and 33's and i have a 20' center console that i pull and it does just fine

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

7. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

i do not think it should change your towing ability much, you may even notice the engine
    strains less with the new set up
    i have 411 and 33's and i have a 20' center console that i pull and it does just fine
    i will say this i also have several long bed fords and they pull much better on the highway at speed than the blazer does. that length really makes it more stable.
    but if you are use to it now i dont think much will change

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

8. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

No problem. Like Rene, I tow a 24' travel trailer (4200#) with 33" tires and 4.56's. No problem with the NV4500 5 speed and I tow in overdrive on the flats. Truck handles well with a weight distributing hitch and only complaint is it rides rougher than my old Suburban, but to be expected with my K5 due to less wheelbase.

87 K5, D60 & 14FF, 5 sp & NP208 & 383 stroker. Build it Bulletproof and take it fishing!

9. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

hey mine towed a 79 k20 sub on a 1500lb trailer ,blew the tranny but pulled it great"dont ask why the tranny blew it was my fault DO NOT DOWN SHIFT A700R4 INTO 2ND GEAR OVER 45MPH VERY BAD THINGS HAPPEN.well thats just my opinion though a1200$ opinion at that.

88k5 silverado w4"lift <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s