Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

towing and recovery insurance

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Jan 17, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

does anyone have any idea what an insuranc epolicy for small towing and recovery companies cost about ? like a one million dollar policy ?
    per month or year, im curious to know what some of these small town companies might be having to pay to have their one million dollar policies for each year, one of the guys i know here in town with his own company claims that its really expensive, it cant be that bad can it ? he only makes around 1,00 a week plus or minus a 1,00 now tand then maybe depending on business, and thats with repairs too in his shop he has,.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

A tow truck driver in a large city once told me that his insurance cost $75 per DAY! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

When I had my business, it cost me $85 a day per 1 ton truck, $150 for the big rig tow trucks. I had at one time 12 1 ton trucks and 2 big rig trucks. Yes, I paid over $1300 per day for insurance.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

holy crack fatman... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

R72K5,
    Now the upside is I did make a bunch of money. I did work for 17 Police dept plus the Hwy Patrol. I also did a bunch of illegal parked cars for parking lots. I started out small and just grew.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    R72K5,
    Now the upside is I did make a bunch of money. I did work for 17 Police dept plus the Hwy Patrol. I also did a bunch of illegal parked cars for parking lots. I started out small and just grew.

[/ QUOTE ]

well see this is what i dream of doing, everytime i see one of these local towing outfit guys' trucks out getting a car or on a recovery call i drool and say some day thats gonna be me doing that,

what i should have done while i had my good full time job was picked up a good old tow truck for a couple or few thousand and also a trailer and a couple acres of old land outside of town somewhere so i could start a towing outfit, but now i cant cuz of all the layoffs and junk, i want ot do what these towing guys are doing, sooooooo bad, it sucks,.

i dont know much ewlse that i would be interested in having or doing for a career, other than vehicle related, but not repair, at least not on anything small or 80s and newer, truck repair would be good, big stuff, not little junk

i dunno..

some day maybe, but doubt it, i think my chance to have what i dream of already done passed me by, its too late now, . i screwed up. i had my chance and a way and now its gone and now it looks like i am destined to be and stay a poor single bum forever now,

screw it

7. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

Hey, if thats a dream of yours, don't give up. I got into the business by mistake. I got hired on with one company and worked there for a litle while. I got to know a lot of businesses this company dealt with. The guy I worked for was getting ready to trade one of his trucks in for a new one and I asked how much to buy it. We worked out something and I got it. Shortly after this, the guy retired and the person that took his business over didn't know what or how to run a business. I went back to all his accounts and talked with them and I got their business and thats how I got started. I would still be doing it today, but I am disabled and I had to sell the business.