Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Towing and shackle flips

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Sep 15, 2002.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I'm lookin into getting shackle flips in the rear or my dream suburban and longer shackles in the front but I have heard that shackle flips compromise towing ability. Is this true? If so why? I would like to get a shackle flip because its cheaper than full spring replacement but I want to still be able to tow. Any help would be appreciated.

2. afroman006

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Do a search it's been talked about many times. Try the ORD and main forum.

4. afroman006

Ok I searches for 2 hours and did not find what I was looking for. Will someone please either post a link to another thread or tell me if towing with a shackle flip is feasible/safe or not and why. Thx

5. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

I have a half ton short box with 35 tall tires. I tow a 6000 pound travel trailer with a shackle flip now for over two years w/o any problems. I know Grimm Reaper had a problem with a heavy load almost getting away from him but I have never had any problems. I hope this is what your looking for.

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

just ran a search on the ord board and came up with all kinds of good stuff. search for "towing shackle flip" and use the "and" choice for about a year back. try 73-87 and garage board also

7. afroman006

Thx Stephen and Slider. I looked and found out all the info I need. Next question, what is better for compensating while towing...extra overload spring, few extra leaf springs, air bag suspension , Rancho 9000 shocks or something else? Thx for humoring me, I decided that a shackle flip is the way to go on the Burban but I want to retain towing ability because we have several boats, a camper, and a flatbed.

8. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

I put RS 9000 schocks on my rig, They sure help out the ride, I usually put them on 2 front and 3 rear and when I tow they all go on 4.

9. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Basically you want to approach it just like you would a stock height tow rig, with a little more care of course the that's the idea.
    The stiffer the springs the better
    The stiffer the shocks the better
    The higher the load range of the tires, the better
    The bigger your brakes are, the better

You obviously need to condsider this differently if you're towing a lightweight "toy" trailer as compared to towing a heavy boat or another vehicle, but these are the parameters to look at.

I'd look at 3/4T rated springs (which you may have), RS9000's, and "D" load range tires. 3/4T axles are nice for the brakes, and you may have them, not sure the duty rating on your sub.

10. afroman006

Well see I dont have the Burban yet...gonne be awhile. I do drive a Subby right now but its technically my parents so I can't do anything to it. I am going to get a job here in a little while and get my own Burban and right now I am in the pre-planning stage. So far I have decided on 3/4 ton 87-91 (later the better) with a 4" shackle flip in rear and springs in front running 35x12.50R15 BFGoodrich Mudders with crossover steering and a whole bunch of other crap. Like I said gonna be awhile...making minimum wage working 3 1/2 hours a day does not build up money that fast... Has anyone used those airbags though? They look interesting but they're kinda expensive. thx