Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Towing boats

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by James, Jul 7, 2000.

1. James

James 1/2 ton status

Hey Guys,
    I finally have the money saved to get the boat I've been wanting. My question is am I crazy to think I can use my old chevy to pull it
    The boat- 21.5ft elimininator 350merc i/o total weight approx. 3000 lbs.
    The k5- 73k5 350 stock with th350 np203 full time four wheel dr with 12bolt rear 10bolt fr. 2 1/2 in. lift with heavy duty leaf springs. Also do alot of mountain driving.
    Looking forward to all the G-Strings(heheheh)
    See Ya at the Lake
    Peace
    James

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Naa, piece of cake!!
    Remember it's a Chevy, it can do anything!! [​IMG]
    Worse case you may need to drop some 410s in it, but if you have 373s allready you should be fine!!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

3. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

How long of a ride is it to where you will be launching your boat? If you have a real flexy suspension you make experience sway, but besides that the truck will pull just about anything. I had to tow a 28' four winns for a friend 300miles to the lake where he keeps his boat and it pulled really well. Best of luck and enjoy the boat.

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Lets put it this way, my buddy tow's his Bass boat with a totally stock 90' Dodge Dakota 3.something liter engine. Given your boat sounds a bit larger, but still, your truck will do just fine.
    Boss

5. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

you could tow twice the weight no problem... just drive cautiously.

6. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

What yr Eliminator and style? and how much? Eliminators are my favorite boats

You won't have any problems pulling that anywhere

7. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

The guy I got my 72 from owned a marina and we used to use the blazer to put boat in and out all the time had a hitch on the front and all! One day we had to use it to tow a 40 footer 200 miles, that was the longest 200 I ever drove! The boat and the trailer were about 50 foot long total and had to be some were a round 12000. Need less to say we never got the blazer out of 3 gear, thank god for the OEM 4 speed it had back then ( it now has a NV4500)

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

8. windrider

windrider Registered Member

I pulled my father inlaws 30' travel trailer with my Blazer with 3:08 gears. Just don't use overdrive if you have a 700r trans.

9. windrider

windrider Registered Member

Also you may want to add a trans cooler.

10. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

I have a 1991 blazer and i have been told i can pull my 21ft Cobalt as long as i dont put the Blazer in O/D. Does any one think that should take anything else into consideration?

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have a 81 Jimmy, and we towed a 21 ft camper trailer (5000lbs) from Vancouver, B.C. to San diego, CA and back last summer with no problems. Of course the trailer has its own brakes so that helps. I had no problems doing 65 MPH except for the big hills.
    Should have seen the border guard's face when we told him we were going to San Diego (the truck was pretty rough looking rust wise) I guess he did'nt think we'd make it out of WA state.

Rene 81 Jimmy,350,SM465,FF14 bolt,HD Dana 44,3.73's,4"susp.,35"Grabber MT's,body in progress

12. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

Feel free to post some of thos G-string pics!!!

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

13. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

No prob...Once in awhile my pops uses the Blazer to tow a 5000 pound horse trailer and a fat ass horse!! the only thing is up hills had to throw it in 4wd!! the blazer has 2.5" lift with 33's,stock 10 bolt front and rear,stock 350

14. James

James 1/2 ton status

Jmpd, In response to your question it was an eliminator eqgle 210 1998. fell thru thow. I'm open to the make. Carerra, Eliminator, or Howard custon is what I'm trying to get 21 to 23 ft open bow bowrider. Tough to find for the amount I want to pay want to keep it at 17k to 22k
    Peace
    James

15. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    Deal fell through, That SUCKS those are nice boats!
    I have a 21.5' Larson open bow 350cu(more of a family/pleasure boat) also a 4 horse trailer, and a flatbed trailer with sandrail and atc's, What I am saying is "I tow alot".
    For towing your main concern is your tranny and gear ratio! if you have 3.73's your fine, and you definitely MUST HAVE A TRANNY COOLER!!!
    "Nordic" also makes a nice boat, very similar to what you are looking at.
    You must have noticed there are more "T-backs" at the lake, then there are in the desert or mountains[​IMG]

16. James

James 1/2 ton status

Scooby, it does suck! was looking forward to having the boat for our annual lake havasu run Aug 25th. oh well got the t-case and tranny out right now anyways. Looks like I won't be Capt. James at Havasu this year. Thank God we have three other boats going. Any input on what best tranny cooler for the price is. never done this?

17. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Just go down to your local Pep Boys or Autozone and get a Hayden radiator style tranny cooler or whatever brand they sell. Buy the biggest one that will fit. Also, you may consider a Derale pan (with the cooling tubes) for the tranny, available from Summit or Jegs for about $75 or so. Be glad as hell you don't have a TH700r4 because they are SO FRIGGING WORTHLESS for towing. I tow a 28' offshore to Mead and Powell and total rig weight is about 16,000...course that's with a 7500lb dually crewcab 4x4. Anyway, the dually is SO FAR SUPERIOR to tow with. I also have a 4x4 Sub and you can really tell that that boat is back there. Course, with a "puddle boat" (as my group so affectionately calls boats under 20') a Blazer will pull it fine. Good luck!!

ken

18. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    James, Actually Autozone sells a really good cooler! better than the B&M, I can't think of the name, it may be the Hayden, I just got back from lake Powell myself was there from June28 - July5 Damn it was hot!
    Lake Havasu will be even hotter, but you know the hotter it gets the less they wear!!!![​IMG] those bigger tranny pans are a good idea also, but not as critical as the cooler! but every little bit helps!
    Another good thing you can do is put a "heavy duty" torque converter in there, since you have the tranny out! Hughes makes a very good one but kinda $$$ you can call a place in phoenix called "Dayco" or "Davco" they sell converters to ALL the tranny shops and they will sell direct to the public ask them about HD torque converter probably cost you around $80 (just a guess) I will go and try to find the number for ya! (HD convertors the fins are welded inside, instead of just being bent over, and I think they hold more fluid, and on mine it had 6 bolts to the flywheel instead of 3)

19. James

James 1/2 ton status

Hey ken. Beautiful boat but I like truck even more. What do ya have on that monster 38 super swamps. I would love a dually to pull the future boat. Can't afford gas for the K5 as it is, ain't no way in hell am I gettin rid of the 73k5 convt. Dually is out of the question. What do ya get 2miles p/g with that beast. anyways thanx for the tranny cooler info guys. Ken your local here and Scooby you must be close you go to all the lakes I go to. Myself, my wife and son amongst 3 other families party in havasu 2x year. See ya At the lake(copper canyon).
    Peace
    James

20. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Hey James, my dually has 42" Swampers, and 10" Superlift front springs, and custom made 10" rear springs (no blocks!). It gets about 5-6 MPG towing that hog, and about 7-8 MPGs by itself. It is 7200 lbs with 5.13 gears, running the stock 454 FI. Ain't nothing like a "dual" when towing heavy loads!! But like I said before, you can tow a "puddle boat" (boat under 21') with a K5 with no problem.

ken