Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Towing Capabilities

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 91jimmy, Oct 17, 2003.

1. 91jimmy

91jimmy Registered Member

I just bought a 91-Jimmy hoping that I could sell my RV and buy a trailer, and use the jimmy as a tow vehicle. But I cant find any information on how much or how well theses trucks tow. The minimum trailer size I want to buy is 20ft

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you want to pull a trailer that big, you need a longer wheelbase tow rig and not a 1/2 ton either. Look into getting a 3/4 or 1 ton truck or a 3/4 ton Suburban.

Do a search on towing with K5s if you want to hear some scary stories about them.

Welcome to CK5.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I tow a lot with my 89 Blazer. I tow a 2500 lb boat all up and down the west coast. I'v towed a 22" dual axle travel trailer quite a few times.. It tows ok if you keep the load under 3000 lbs. You can go up to 5k but its pretty scary. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif And it puts a hell of a strain on the truck.
    If you are getting a newer travel trailer 20-22' You should prolly be ok the newer ones are lighter than the older ones. Try to find the lightest one you can. Dual axle is best.

My advise is:
    Get Trailer Brakes!
    Equaliser hitch
    Dont run tires any bigger than 10.50 x31s make sure they are at least 6 ply
    Ckeck your gear ratio. most late models came with 3.73s or 4.10. Dont tow with anything less than a 3.73 gear ratio
    Get a good aftermarket trans cooler and an engine oil cooler. These are a MUST HAVE if you want to tow. Towing without a cooler will destory your trans.
    Change the differential fluid use 85-140 HD fluid change yearly
    Change your trans fluid NOW then change it often if you tow a lot. I change mine twice a year.About Every 5K depending how hard i use it
    Make sure your radiator is in good condition. If you only have 2 rows of tubes on the radiator get a 3 or 4 tube radiator.
    If you dont have overload springs in the rear get them. Add a leafs will work ok if ur on a budget.
    A set of headers and good flowing single 3" exahust will give more power on the hills. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I agree. I have towed my 23' travel trailer with my blazer on 35's with know problems. Used load equalizing hitch and maintained trailer brakes. Towed/handled really well. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Don't forget sway control and make sure you not only own an equalizer hitch, know how to use it!! That means your trailer sits level behind the truck.

You CAN tow with a K5 if you know what you're doing. I would if I had to, but I really would prefer not to if at all possible.

If you want a budget tow rig I got an awesome 1 ton 2wd with a brand new TH 400 and the biggest B & M stacked plate cooler they make that I'd sell for $1500. It's an '87 and it burns some oil but it is a pullin' bastard let me tell ya.

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I know it's not a blazer but I have towed a 26' camper with a 92 Bronco which is like a blazer in the wheelbase dept. It towed fine to me. We just used and extended hitch to get a little more distance between the camper and the back of the bronco for turning. We also used sway control and the required electric brakes. We never had a problem and anyone who drives here knows towing through PA is teh suck.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The longer the hitch is from the rear axle, the more chance you have of losing control. By extending the hitch, you made an already unsafe idea worse.

8. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

be that as it may several thousand miles of towing over mountains with some of the worst potholes imaginable doesn't lie. We've gone to niagra falls several times, cape may NJ, rehoboth beach, atlantic city, etc.... As long as you do not need to exceed 65 it was no problem. I am speaking through experience rather than theory.