Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Towing capacity

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scavenger, Aug 31, 2000.

1. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

Hi. I have an 85 full size Blazer that is pretty much stock and I am curious if any other board member uses their K5 to pull a trailer with a skid loader (Bobcat). I am considering purchasing a skid loader and trailer to pick up some extra $$$ doing odd jobs and general dirt pushing. The skid loaders weigh between 5500-6200 pounds and it seems to me that this with the added weight of a trailer may be too much for the K5 to handle. Eventually I plan to get a 1 ton dump but was just wondering if the Blazer could handle it until that time......thanks

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

No problem I have a 1984 K5 with a 2.5 inch lift, 33's, stock 350,and stock gearing. My dad tows a double axle horse trailer,and 2 big horses....never had a problem! The only thing is freeway speed,and going up steep hills! hope this helps..

3. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info Eric.

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Make sure you tow in Drive, not Overdrive, and install a tranny cooler, too.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I tow a 21 foot travel trailer with my Jimmy. It weighs in at about 5300 lbs with all our junk. I pull mine at about 70 MPH with not too much trouble. Quick specs on my Jimmy: Warmed over 350 comp cams 260 HE, Edelbrock 600, Accel super coil, Flo-tech headers, 2 1/2" duals with Flowmasters. 4 speed manual tranny, 3.73's and 35" mudders. If the skidder is betwen 5500 and 6200 lbs, how much does the empty trailer weigh? I know an average car trailer comes in at about 2100 lbs. This would make the total loaded trailer weight at over 8000 lbs. Just for comparison a 35' fifth wheel trailer (the monster ones) weigh less than this! I personally know what 5300 lbs behind my truck feels like and what a bitch it can be to slow it down, even with good electric brakes, I don't know how comfortable I would be with 8000 lbs behind me.
    You also have to consider the hills. Where I tow my trailer there are several hills in the 7 to 10 % area that can be quite long. If you have an automatic then it will be a little easier to maintain the power up the hills but I would be pretty worried about the heat generated. I know that with my set-up I'm in 3rd gear at 2500-2800 RPM and the gas about 1/3 to 1/2 way down on the big hills, obviously the steeper the hill the more pedal I use.
    IMHO I would wait for the 1 Ton, but if you are going to try the K5 then make sure you have a good weight distributing hitch and that the trailer has very good brakes.
    Just my 2 cents

[​IMG]

6. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

RustyK5,
    Thanks for posting the info. I was really hoping to use the Blazer for a while until I found something a little larger, but you do state some real good reasons for not using it. I thought I lucked out yesterday when a person offered to give me a Chevy medium duty 5 yard dump truck. After explaining the condition of the truck to some friends that work on trucks they advised me to let the "bargain" go. I was told that since the truck has been sitting for 6 years and is a diesel, that I would probably have to invest 2-3 grand in the motor before I even attempted to start it. And also because it has been sitting so long the air brake system is probably shot along with several other items. If it were a gas engine I would probably tinker with it, but I know nothing about diesels so I guess I'll just keep looking..........Thanks

7. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

I would not put any stress on that 700R4 if it is an '85 model trans. Just my experience after 3 rebuilds. Due to towing weight, I converted to a 5 speed stick. With 4:88s, Dana 60FF, 35s and the NV4500 I have been pulling a lot of weight w/ no problems except shortened life on the 1/2T Ujoints. I now have changed to the 1350 UJs, weigh
    15,000+ GCVW occasionally and do OK. I have 12" brakes front and rear on the K5, and oversize brakes on
    the trailer (Dexter 12x2 shoes, twin axle) My K5 weighs 6200 lbs. with me in it on the scales.

SteveB