Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

towing capacity

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bergst, Nov 23, 2002.

1. bergst

bergst Newbie

What is the max towing capacity for a 4x4 '77 Blazer with 350ci,TH350 tranny, 3.73 gears, and factory towing suspension package? I know there must be a figure but I can't find it.

2. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It depends. A few questions first- Do you have an aux. transmission cooler? Also what type of trailer is it? (flat bed, boat, horse trailer, etc.) Does it (your truck)have a weight distributing hitch? The weight you can safely tow can be changed a lot depending on your answers to these questions.

3. bergst

bergst Newbie

The trailer is a 24ft camp trailer. My Blazer does have a tranny cooler and I have been using a load equilizing hitch setup for the smaller trailer. Need any more info? The rig has been running like a top, strong engine and tranny, but getting to be high mileage.

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I've been towing with my K5 for quite a while. I also do tons of towing with light duty trucks at work. I wouldn't recommend towing more than 5500 lbs, and only if you have the following:

1. A good quality weight distribution setup. A short wheelbase vehicle can allow trailer sway to overtake the tow rig. An anti-sway/weight distribution hitch all but eliminates the problem. I use Reese products.

2. A good quality brake controller. The Tekonsha Voyager is an awesome product for dual axle trailers. I personally woudn't go with any other make.

3. A stacked-plate auxilliary tranny cooler. My K5 is equipped with a 700r4, and an aux. cooler is a must. I'm not sure how important it is to use an aux. cooler with a 3 speed, but I can guarantee it wouldn't hurt.

Whatever you do, I recommend avoiding a heavy single-axle trailer. They have a tendancy to sway at higher speeds and can cause handling/stopping problems for a Blazer.

Welcome to CK5, brother!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That would put the trailer at 5-6 thousand pounds? I think your Blazer would pull it ok, but I would make sure it had high quality brake pads and definitely get a sway control bar!!!
    The main thing you need to worry about is with a longer trailer, if you get a gust of wind from the side, it can jerk the rear of the truck sideways because of the short wheelbase. I have a similar Blazer, and the only time I had a problem towing a larger trailer was when the wind started my trailer swaying, and then it yanked the rear of my Blazer back and forth about 2 feet each way- /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I had to make the rest of the trip at 40mph or slower. I probably won't be pulling that trailer again until I get sway control for it and my Blazer.

6. bergst

bergst Newbie

So you're saying that I can get away with towing the larger trailer. I forgot to mention that my rig does have a brake equalizer installed. The towing distance is about 200 miles over the South Pass of the Wind River Mtns.

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Basically, if your trailer is a dual axle and weighs no more than 5500 lbs FULLY LOADED(add the weight of all your gear- food, clothing, etc...- to the dry weight of your trailer), I would say you'll be okay.

I can't stress the importance of a good quality and properly adjusted brake controller and a heavy duty weight distribution setup. If you feel that your equipment is beefy enough to handle a heavy trailer, the go for it.

I also assume you know that towing a heavy trailer requires you to drive safely and take your time. Speed is the #1 cause of towing accidents. I would also recommend you purchase a set of towing mirrors if the side mirrors on your truck don't allow you a good view of traffic behind you. If you can't see beyond your trailer, you're setting yourself up for trouble. CIPA makes a good slip-on towing mirror for about $30 a side......

Good luck, brother!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Other folks have eloquently stated the need for proper respect for your towed load, a trailer brake, and a tranny cooler. I won't repeat the same advice, excpet BUY A TRANNY COOLER.

OK, there /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Now, if you look the Brochures page and go to 1977, Chevy says the GCWR (combined weight of kerb weight, people & stuff inside, gas, and trailer) is 9500# for the 3.73 axle with a 350.

Assuming the kerb weight of your truck is ~5000# (this is a guess and can vary tremendously -- do a search on it!) this gives you about 4500# for your trailer.

With the TH350 you can stretch those numbers some; with a 700R4 you'd be in trouble, generally. Do watch the tail-wagging-the-dog effect with long trailers and short wheelbase tow vehicles, and if unsure, slow down /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-- A