Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

towing device

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NYC K5, Apr 21, 2000.

1. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

i have the original window sticker for my rig and it says it came with a towing device, but i dont have a hitch, and cant seem to find any wiring harnesses back there. what in the heck is it?

2. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    I'm sure it did have a hitch at one point in time or another. They are very easy to remove. That along with lower gears, & larger fuel tank.

Do you have a 31gal tank? How about 3.42:1 gears?

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

3. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

Mine must have had the same thing. I have a 31 gallon tank, and I seem to have fairly low gears. I don't have a tach, but the engine is reving pretty good at 75 mph. Is there a way to tell the gear ratio WITHOUT taking the cover off and counting teeth?

Blazin' in Flagstaff

4. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

its definitely not lower gears because i have a 2.73 rear. i do have the sm465 4speed though and that will pull a house down. i also have the 25 gal tank, oh well reciever hitches are $100

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Don't ya mean a 3.73 rearend? I thought 3.08 was the highest gear put in the K5 series...

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

6. mico85K5

mico85K5 Registered Member

what does the 3.08 gear ratio actually mean (how good/bad is it?)

Driving your blazer=FUN!

7. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

no its definitly 2.73 it says it on 2 forms that i have the window sticker and the glove box info thing, plus the car had no pickup before my mods

8. Truckfan3

Truckfan3 Registered Member

the higher the number or gear ratio, the lower the gear... if that makes sense. anyway, it all depends on what size tyres and what kind of driving you do and what you want the gas mileage to be. usually, the lower the ratio, the more torque and power you have at take off but your engine will be reving higher at fast speeds and the mpg will drop. the lower the ratio, the slower to get going but faster you will go, mpg is good on the highway but lacks during stop and go. overall, it only matters for person to person. some will like get up and go (low gear ratio) and others don't care. it also matters with the size tyres, the bigger the lower the ratio you need to get the rpm back to where it was stock with small tyres. hope I helped!

If it isn't broke, then modify it!!

9. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I wonder if they call the large fang looking hooks under the front bumper a towing device?