Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

towing doubles question ?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by chubbybob, Mar 11, 2004.

1. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

ok I searched back to october and this hasnt been discussed.

I am moving back to washington in the end of may and need to know if it is legal to haul my 28ft enclosed trailer with my truggy in it and also tow 2 jet skis on a trailer behind ?
    I know it is legal here in nevada but im not sure about kalifornia or oregon.
    does anyone have any first hand knowledge of this not just heresay. any help would be much appretiated.

2. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Don't know about the states you are asking about. But I can tell you about Michigan. The first trailer HAS to be a 5th wheel. Then the second trailer can't exceed the weigh of the first trailer and the combined load can't exceed the tow vehicles GCVWR. Never heard of any state that allows doubles with bumper pull style first trailer.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Here in Cali my dad used to pull a 3 axle 19' gooseneck loaded down with ornamental iron fences with the his 17' 2 axle bumper style trailer behind the gooseneck all pulled by a 76' C30 dually headed to Texas. He never had any problems. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I asked this very question to a freinds wife (Port of Entry Employee). It looks primarily like you have three main issues to deal with:

1 - Both trailers must be tagged as trailers & not commercial. Basically, they have to be for recreational & not company equipment.

2 - Total length from vehicle front bumper to last trailer. Colorado has a 70' max, but some other states have a 65' max.

3 - Total Weight must be below the 26,000 also.

She also said that if you are compliying with the above three things, don't event stop at Ports. Even if they say "Vehicles with Trailer". If someone says anything, tell them you were told not to stop at the last Port you pulled into /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyway, hope this helps & have a save trip /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

how exactly do you deal with tongue weight at this point? Move the weight of the first trailer forward more, to balance out the tongue weight of the items in the second trailer??

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

I am moving back to washington in the end of may and need to know if it is legal to haul my 28ft enclosed trailer with my truggy in it and also tow 2 jet skis on a trailer behind ?
    does anyone have any first hand knowledge of this not just heresay. any help would be much appretiated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I have been asking here in CA about this and so far the only thing I was told is that I need a Class A license with doubles endorsement and max overall length 65'

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't know about the states you are asking about. But I can tell you about Michigan. The first trailer HAS to be a 5th wheel. Then the second trailer can't exceed the weigh of the first trailer and the combined load can't exceed the tow vehicles GCVWR. Never heard of any state that allows doubles with bumper pull style first trailer.

[/ QUOTE ]

california and oregon
    and if any are legal to do it with a 5th wheel setup then im willing to take a chance doing it with my reciever tow setup the weight obviously isnt over because 2 jet skis probably only weigh 1000k including trailer and my enclosed trailer with truggy weighs around 11k so I am well within the legal lenght and weight.
    if it is legal for a 5th setup then you can almost bet a regular police officer wont even look twice.

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Just don't backup! Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    how exactly do you deal with tongue weight at this point? Move the weight of the first trailer forward more, to balance out the tongue weight of the items in the second trailer??

[/ QUOTE ]

my enclosed trailer has a lot of tongue weight with my truggy in it and 2 jet skis on a trailer has hardly any tongue weight so I wouldnt even feel it.

10. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I have been asking here in CA about this and so far the only thing I was told is that I need a Class A license with doubles endorsement and max overall length 65'

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

so in other words it is legal but if you get pulled over and dont have a class A then you would be cited.

so basicaly dont give them a reason to pull me over and I will be fine. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah I know that I keep reading people saying that they can back up doubles but I know first hand its not possible with this setup. you cant even see the second trailer /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

12. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah I know that I keep reading people saying that they can back up doubles but I know first hand its not possible with this setup. you cant even see the second trailer /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I can back up my Dodge Dually one ton with my 35 foot fifth wheel camper and then my 20 foot behind that without too much of a problem. When people say that you can't back up doubles I believe they mean when the second trailer is on a steerable dolly. The dolly will jack under the trailer when pushed backwards at any kind of an angle. If you are backing a hitch mounted trailer with another hitch mounted trailer with no dolly you should be able to back in a straight line indefinately and do a minute amount of manuevering when necessary.

John

13. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

When people say that you can't back up doubles I believe they mean when the second trailer is on a steerable dolly. The dolly will jack under the trailer when pushed backwards at any kind of an angle.

[/ QUOTE ] My dad can back up a set of 28' doubles and the truck without a problem.(18 wheeler semi doubles) /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif But I guess that is what happens when you have been in the trucking business for almost 30 years. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

14. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

When people say that you can't back up doubles I believe they mean when the second trailer is on a steerable dolly. The dolly will jack under the trailer when pushed backwards at any kind of an angle.

[/ QUOTE ] My dad can back up a set of 28' doubles and the truck without a problem.(18 wheeler semi doubles) /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif But I guess that is what happens when you have been in the trucking business for almost 30 years. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I can back a set of pups as long as they are straight when I start out and I don't need to do a bunch of turning. I usually have them miscombubalated with 200 or 300 feet though. LOL..

John

15. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I know for sure PA does not like a double setup (long rather funny story). /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

When I moved out to CO from MD, I towed my 23' travel trailer with my 18' flat bed trailer behind it (empty). Truck and trailers handled remarkably well with thetravel trailer loaded with furniture mostly in front and truck loaded with tools and more furniture. The 6.5 diesel struggled a bit, though.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I believe it is illegal in IL under any circumstances to have more than one trailer behind a non-commercial vehicle.

A regular drivers licence should be fine, as this is not a commercial vehicle, shouldn't require a commercial driver's license.

Think, "motorhome" if you think that is impossible.