Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

towing in 4HI

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BowtieBlazer, Oct 17, 2001.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Is this a big no-no!! I am not sure but after this past weekend I am curious...I was towing a 5200lb popup camper with my blazer had to hit a logging road to get out to my deer lease so I locked the hubs and put it in 4HI because it was pouring down and the road was slop...after about 50yrds I head a loud POP! and I wondered what it was then another 20 feet and another POP! so i thought it was the front drive shaft so I tried shifting to N and back into 4HI...problem not solved...in 4L no prob and without the trailer later in the day 4HI was no problem....think the POP was from the pressure of the trailer pulling back as it went through the mud pot holes i had just gone through....its a NP 208

What? You think the hole is too deep? Lemme see...
    1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I can't see it being a problem as long as it's not on dry pavement. I've towed our 21' camper trailer in 4 low up a steep logging road.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> It should be o.k ......... it may just have been like you said........ the camper popping backwards. .........they can really make a noise sometimes !

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> BOW CHICKA BOW WOW !