Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Towing in Low?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JeremyK5, Oct 24, 2001.

1. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Tomorrow I'm going to be towing a heavy straw wagon at low speeds (25-30mph), and I need to know if it would be ok to use 4 low on my np203, so that I can accelerate with traffic. Thanks for any Info!

2. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

The only time I know of anyone towing in low... A friend of mine in his Suburban on his way to top truck when he was going through the mountians. He did fine, just keep the speeds down.

Ken H.

'85 K5 in process

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Depending on your diff gears you can go as fast as 40mph in low range if you got 3.08.
    Now is the truck converted or still full time? If it's full then yeah low is fine just don't go to loc or you will get driveline bind and bust something. take it easy on the starts. let the truck pull it up easy if your talking some serious weight. I guess I don't have to warn you about trying to stop that weigh [​IMG]

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

4. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Is it bad for stuff? Of course. Have I done it? Plenty of times.

BTW, Grim, w/39.5s, 4.65s, and OD, you can get about 65 mph out of low. And thats with a 2.6:1 t-case. Plus LOTs of planetary noise. [​IMG]

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd