Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

towing in OD

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beater74, Apr 6, 2003.

1. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

okay i got my tow rig it's a 98 3500 4x4, should i be towing in O.D. or keep it in 3rd gear?

i know it was a major no no for the lighter duty trucks in the 80's but alot has changed since then.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Just watch your rpm's and listen for erratic shifting in and out of O.D.
    Is really a case-by-case...with a stock vehicle, you should be able to tow in O.D. the whole time (since you won't have bigger tires to turn and these vehicles are meant for towing). BUT, if you're in really hilly/mountainous terrain and the tranny keeps going from overdrive to drive, then it's time to switch into regular drive.
    Also, watch the rpms - those can be good indicators for what gear to be in. If you're going 55 and chugging along at 1600rpm in overdrive, go ahead and shift into drive. An engine like that should be able to with-stand cruising at 2600-2800 rpms (not if it's a diesel engine though, only gas).

Hope that helps out a bit.

3. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

The 3500's have the 4L80e which is pretty stout. I wouldn't worry about it unless you're towing a really heavy load or are in the hills.

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

My work truck is a 95 GMC 3500 service body. It has the 4L80E and I still use D with a heavier(6000lbs+) load behind me, especially in the hills. Of course, I don't pay for the gas......... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

There's a sticker on the drivers door about eye level on the door jam. It says this truck is equiped with a Over Drive trans, do not use overdrive for towing, hauling a heavy load, and etc.etc. See owners manual of more info. My truck has a 4L80HD a heavy duty version of the 4L80E. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif So Chevy says no to towing in OD. But if you're going down hill it should be ok.

6. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

tanks guys, i guess i could read my owner manuel and i'll look for that sticker.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I'd use OD if you can keep the RPMs at 2000+. Once it falls bellow that then use 3rd.