Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Towing Limits???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by XHitman396, Jun 5, 2002.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

Ive gotta 87 k-5 blazer, BONE stock, 700r4 auto tranny, stock 350, tow package, stock susp., and i looked in the manual, which in most cases is useless or finding anything. so does anybody know the maximum towing limit for this truck. i don't mean the point before the frame snaps in half, but whats the most ya'll have towed wit your blaze without probs? or whats suggested? all info appreciated, thanks in advance

Brett

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I wouldn't recommend towing more than 5000 lbs with any short wheelbase truck........And if you do tow make sure you use a quality anti-sway/weight distribution set up.

Don't tow in OD, and install a big aftermarket tranny cooler.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Towing weights are generally limited by the following factors:
    Hitch rating ( class 1,2,3, 4, ect)
    GVWR tounge weight should not exceed the axles or the hitches tounge weight rating.
    Tires load rating
    Your engines horsepower rating x 35 usually equals the heavyist trailer you should tow; EX : 210 Hp x35= 7350 lbs.
    These are the general rules most go by.
    They dont say a specific towing weight because there are so many varibles and if they specified a weight and something went wrong GM would be liable. Thats why the manual states: " This vehicle was primarly designed to carry people and cargo"

My 89 blazer has the Tow package and I tow quite a bit. I have a 18' ski/fish boat I tow all over the west and I'v towed travel trailers and other stuff.
    The heavyst thing I ever towed was a 1953 ford F100 on a car trailer. It prolly weighed around 6000 lbs. I towed it about 400 miles. I took it easy and had no problems but I think that was the Max I would ever tow with a Blazer.
    Trailer brakes and an equalizing hitch are a must have on any trailer over 2000 lbs

4. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

I have a 91 and tow a 22" boat that goes about 5500 when fully loaded. Thats about the max I would pull with it. Have to get a longer wheel base.

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

GVWR means gross vehicle weight rating. Unladen weight is the weight of the vehicle. Subtract the unladen weight from the GVWR and you have the amount of weight that you can legally tow or carry with your vehicle. Yes, your vehicle might be capable of towing more but not legally. If for some reason you are stopped by a highway patrol and he decides to have your vehicle weighed and you are overweight then you will not be allowed to continue and you will receive a citation as well.

6. XHitman396

wait, so your tellin me i can only LEGALLY tow 1800 lbs? that jus dun sound right, the gvwr is only what you can have on the trucks' 2 axles right? not for the trailer too, they got they own axles for supportin wait. cuz i dun think 1800 lbs is right, but thaz jus me.

Brett

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Actually you are correct. That is the amount that you may carry in your vehicle. The weight being towed depends on the type or class of hitch you have and also the size trailer ball. Then the trailer will also have a weight rating as well.

8. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

You both are partly right. The GVWR is for the truck only. Then there's the CGVWR or Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. The GVWR of my Peterbuilt is 51,000 but the combined rating with my trailer is 80,000.

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Regarding GVW and trailers: The only weight from the trailer included in the GVWR is the tounge weight.Tounge weight is the trailer weight that is resting on the hitch So this means that the tounge weight and the combined weight of the vehicle,passengers, and cargo should not exceed the rear axel's capacity. tounge weight can vary depending on how the trailer is loaded.
    Loading a trailer tounge light can cause the trailer to sway side to side badly and go out of controll.
    Loading a trailer tounge heavy causes undue stress and wear on the drive train.
    I cant rember all the weight specs for the different hitch classifications but i Know that the Tounge weight limit on a class 3 hitch is 750 lbs and max trailer weight is 7500 lbs using an equalizing hitch. The weight limit is around 1500lbs less if you are not using a equalizing hitch. The class3 is the largest hitch you can put on a K5. The class 4 is a 5th wheel hitch.

10. XHitman396

thanks guys that helps A LOT, but one last question, whats an equalizing hitch? whats it do, and what's it look like? thanks again

Brett

11. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

I tow a 23' RV with sway bar, weight distribution bars. My trailer weighs 5200 lbs. That is about as long as I would go and as heavy as I would go. 350, 700r