Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

towing my K5 with a K5?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Dec 23, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Wadda you guys think about pulling a K5 on a full trailer with another K5? Does this sound like suicide or can it be done?

Thanks all,
    -Dan

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Suicide...I'd want a longer wheelbase for a trailer that heavy. I towed a Mustang on a car trailer with mine...but the Mustang is prolly 2700 or more lbs lighter than your K5. Car and trailer with the Mustang was 5500 lbs, I'd guess you'd be over 8000 with your K5 on a car trailer.

Rene

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

What Jelles said.....

Doing something like that would make me cream my shorts. I prefer a longer wheelbase truck to pull any trailer. And something a little heavier, like a 3/4 or 1 ton. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. KRAZIE87K5

Well Westy... you're the king of "heavy" metal around here... You want to source me a nice 3/4 sub or a 1ton dually? I'd be too happy. The only reason I suggested the K5, is because I could have a nice stock 84 for about $500. Oh well... so much for that idea. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Dan

5. thatK30guy

I just got an '89 Sub, 3/4 ton, with a locked up motor. Of course, I would sell it for the right price. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i have done it more than once...the first time towed my (well use to be my) 72 back from Pheonix AZ back to Stockton CA (about a 12-13 hour drive) and on the way back i just about killed myself comin down the thaichapes (spelling)down in southern Ca...i dident have the weight dist. right on the trailer with the trailer being ass heavy and made my K5 whip all over the road...all the way back home i couldent get goin more that 45mph so a 12- hour drive took me 16 hours to do...but comin back from holister i towed 1 FN HI K5 Back from there and was doin 70 most of the way back home...but i had the weight farther forward on the trailer and had no problems...except for the wind blowin me all over the road...but you would understand if you saw I FN HI's blazer up close...its like a huge sail.....what i am basicly gettin at...it can be done...just make sure you get it loaded right and you should be fine...i can dig up some pics in a few mins [​IMG]

7. thatK30guy

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Wow! Man, Chazz, you must have cojones the size of basketballs!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

either that or stupid...and i am goin with the 2nd one! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif..altho i do have problems sittin on my balls from time to time /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

It depends on the distance, the weight distribution and the weather.
    I have done worse.
    I have towed a 3/4 ton long bed with my Full size jeep with really soft springs. I also towed my full size Van with my blazer.

I had a friend that towed his race car in an enclosed 20' trailer all around with his stock blazer.
    Just be carefull not to go too fast and as Chazz said, put the right weight on the tongue.

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Hmmmm, where ya towin it to? I may be sellin my rig soon and will want my wheeling fix. Just a thought, but on some of those trips, I could maybe pull you with the dodge for a seat on the trail! That is if you can't afford a proper tow rig now...I know how it is. Dont know how i'm gonna be able to afford mine. The midwest (NORTH) ain't cheap on living!

11. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

My brother pulled an 80 3/4 w/a bad tranny w/his 87 Blazer. Get it loaded right and take it easy. But with that said, if he had to do it again, I'm sure he wouldn't. I agree with using a heavier, long WB rig.

How about getting the 2nd K5, and then get a LOOOONG trailer to put them both on. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif That way Laketex would have something to drive, too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've pulled just about everything with my shortbed truck, including a 3/4 ton '74 Chevy on a trailer. It's no big deal if you load it right, but I've got my 1 ton now so I don't worry anymore.

13. KRAZIE87K5

Bryan-

There is an idea! But don't get rid of that rig of yours if you don't have to! Anywho... I'd be happy to barter passenger/driver's seat time in exchange for tow favors! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Sounds like a deal to me! When do you come up here again? Sometime in Feb? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Dan

14. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I'm only selling it to get something of a down payment for a house. It's a buyers market and I'd be crazy to rent. I can always build a new toy later. I'll be there on the 10th but just with the car. It'll be the end of January before I bring the dodge and the movers deliver our stuff!