Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Towing options

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Dec 18, 2001.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

OK, wiith EJS coming up in March, was wondering how feasable (cost wise) it would be to have my K5 towed out to Moab maybe share the expense with a buddy. Anybody have ideas on renting truck/trailer cost?

Steve

Director of Global Expansion

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Most places I called around here were fine with renting me a trailer until they found out i was towing a K5 and I never told them it was lifted and whatnot. None of the places around here had a trailer in stock that was large enough for the k5 to fit...
    You may want to look into a Bobcat trailer....

Mike

<font color=green>"1024x768x256... Sounds like one mean woman."</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

3. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

u-haul has the trailers if they are available in your area, you can get a quote online or call local guys, dont know about ryder, here there are other rental places that have car trailers that are a little less than u-haul, depends on your location i guess

"growin old is not for sissies"
    77k5 400/350/np203/stock for now

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

U-haul and others usually ask what you'll be putting on the trailer. The great majority of trailers they have are just not wide enough for a K5...even a stock one.

Steve...what does Stephen use to get his truck to the trail?

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

What about using a tow bar and flat-towing it like the infamous tRustyK5 (Rene) did on his trip?

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

6. CK5

Yeah, that's the problem with our rigs, to wide for most trailers, Stephen's dad has a 1-ton Super Duty and trailer.
    Don't want to flat tow, the combo of high speeds and low gears is prolly what did my rear pinion bearing in.

Steve

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

little bit confused whether you have a tow vehicle avaliable (I assume your buddy?) but you also say about renting a truck/trailer...

So Im gonna assume your talking about renting a truck + trailer. Your options are kinda limited but here goes:

You can use a tow dolly. Last I checked, the K5 axle width fit on these, so just put the puppy in nutral and tow away. Its certainly cheaper, but if you've got boggers or large tires, an open trailer is probably the way to go. (unless you've got some el cheapo low rolling resistance spares to throw on. Probably worth it, from the extra fuel economy).

Now, if your buddy doesnt have a vehcile to tow... your gonna be in a bind. Most U-haul and ryder places charge by the mile. It gets costly. Last I remember, it was somewhere around 20 dollars, + 25-45 cents a mile. I have no clue how far you are from Moab, but I assume if your towing, it cant be that close.

Depending on how gutsy you are, I know some car rental places rent out Rangers or Jeep Cherokees'... Of course, a 4 cylinder 4000 lb ranger pulling a 1500 lb trailer + 5000 lbs of truck= some pretty dangerous situation.

Now, not to sound silly, but... maybe rent a winabago or something? Those things are quite the hauler, and plus.. no hotel fees!!!!

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I wouldn't recomend flat towing...even the stripped and somewhat light Blazer I towed that way was technically illegal in most states I drove through. It weighed 3500 lbs and was a bit of a handful at times. I can't imagine towing a Blazer that is lifted and weighs 6000 lbs with a tow-bar.[​IMG] Good luck stopping it too!

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

9. CK5

No truck or trailer and Moab is 360 miles one way. You know I might look into the Winabago thing.

Steve

10. SummitXMK

SummitXMK 1/2 ton status

Go down to the nearest truckstop and put an add on the board with the day you want to go. Maybe somebody is hauling that way empty. If there empty they aren't making any money so they might be willing to haul you over for pretty cheap.

78 K5 Cheyenne 400 th350 203 stock nuthin' special (YET)

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've checked on motorhome rentals. You're looking at $1,000 to $1,200 a week, plus mileage. Most also won't allow you to tow anything with them. [​IMG] I've also checked on the tow dollies before. A K5 with 35's is too wide for the U-Haul dollies. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

12. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

most motorhomes are only rated to tow 3000-4000 lbs. remember an rv already weighs a lot. that.s why most you see towing are flat towing or using dollies.
    i know because i was looking into buying a motorhome last year and wanted it to be able to tow my car on my 16ft flatbed trailer (5000lbs total weight).
    that and all the rental rv's i looked at did not have a trailer hicth set up. also mileage on a rental rv is realllllly expensive. unlike rental cars, rental rv's only come with like 50 miles a day with the rental fee after that you are paying for miles. that was the main reason i looked into buying my own. i figured i could buy a decent used one use it for a year and sell again and still not lose as much as renting once or twice.

not sure about your area, (uhaul here in mt don't do it) but i know when i lived back east uhaul rented full size pick up trucks you could use as a tow vehicle. then just get some used little tires to fit your blazer on a trailer.

or just drive out in the blazer. it's only 360 miles. that is a short trip by mt standards. [​IMG] i'm gonna drive my 88 blazer into billingsthis afternoon for a doctors appt. that is a nice little 230mile one way trip.

<font color=blue>85 blazer</font color=blue> 4" lift, 35" pro comp mt, locked out back
    <font color=blue>88 blazer</font color=blue>mostly stock
    <font color=blue>99 30th ann. TA</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>79 TA</font color=blue>

13. CK5

I have driven the 360 for the last 4 years but would like to give it a rest, plus I may have 39.5's on her this next trip.

Steve

14. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

You might try a local equipment rental and try and get a flatbed. Most equipment trailers have fenders that make them too narrow for fullsize trucks. I have seen flatbeds with ramps that might work, but you will be in the 7K range with K5 and trailer and will need brakes and a 3/4 ton.. This is the reason my K5 is in the forsale section and I now have a YJ in the drivway.

<font color=red> Elkboy </font color=red> 82 K5 fuel injected H.O.305, TH350/205, 14bolt/10bolt and 39.5 TSL's.

15. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I'm pretty sure that Detroits are not supose to be flat towed.
    My bud has a 2 car trailer he is trying to sell [​IMG]. It's bigenough to handle 3 Jeeps

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

16. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Hey, if it wont fit 35's, why not just put a set of 30's oe 31's on?

heck remember, if your using a tow dolly, the tires dont even really need to have tread. :) You could acutally keep the 35's on in the rear if you wanted to....

Im still more worried about what your gonna tow it with. Some guy tried towing a CVCC Blazer on a trailer with one of the s10 blazers.. I think it was someone on this board, but maybe not.. he had pictures, it was a horrid sight to begin with, but he said it was so dangerous, that he had to stop and get a UHAUL and hook the trailer to the bumper.

17. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

ok then you might try this:
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tomsrv.com/cargo.html>http://www.tomsrv.com/cargo.html</a>

"growin old is not for sissies"
    77k5 400/350/np203/stock for now

18. CK5

Yeah, this should do the trick: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tomsrv.com/images/GOOSENECK%20HAULER2.jpg>http://www.tomsrv.com/images/GOOSENECK%20HAULER2.jpg</a>
    Now I just need a nice tow rig.

Steve

19. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

so my trip from calli to moab in august on 39.5 would not be advised, huh?

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

20. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    got any friends in the construction buisness who can get you a dump truck or something to tow that with? That would work perfect.