Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Towing pics

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by kennyw, Oct 7, 2003.

1. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Well, just noticed this forum today and thought I could post up some pics...

1949 Chevy dump truck I hauled from Central Oregon to Colorado (where I meet a guy from Arizona).
    [​IMG]
    If you look closely there is a 1985 K20 frame under the dump truck that I hauled for another ck5 member.

1954 IHC COE a friend of mine hauled from Central Oregon to Canada (since my crewcab lost the tranny again!).
    [​IMG]

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Just thought I'd add a tow pic to the thread. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif (Actually, I'm just excited about the new forum and wanted to add something. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[​IMG]

This is my crew cab loaded for the trip to the Indy jamboree in Sept. The pull truck is TARussell's 02 Dodge H.O. CTD 6spd (read: BADA$$!)

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Here is my dark mysterious pic:

[​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

1988 R20 454 burb Land tug for the 1959 22' Airstream Caravanner Land Yacht. [​IMG]

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    Moab bound......

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

A true test of a tow bar (of course not recommended)
    [​IMG]
    Towing normally with a decent trailer.
    [​IMG]
    My trailer (in its old, degraded condition)
    [​IMG]
    and my trailer with it's new steel bed.
    [​IMG]

and all the Other Towing Pics.

8. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]

just wanted to add my set up /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif and thank you BranndonC

9. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Oh, almost forgot about towing with the tow bar...

[​IMG]
    Had to go slow but got it home and moved it to a friends house about a year after that with just a towbar.

10. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

welcome /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]
    Moab bound......

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, isn't that the ProComp truck they were giving away a while back?

12. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

Aftwer this weekend ill have some towing pics to post. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[​IMG]

This was my first foray into the daunting world of towing..... I can safely say that it's worth doing right.

The trailer I borrowed had a number of issues:

1. Poorly maintained, the shackles pulled-through the bolt holes and left me with only 3 of 4 leafsprings actually working

2. Passenger Car tires on wheels. Too damn wide, and barely even met the maximum load rating I needed... just one more thing for me to worry about for the entire trip.

3. Poor fender fit - the fenders are removable but spent most of their time rubbing against the tire sidewalls, which lead to a cut tire (inner fender area had sharp edges) and yet another repair at my expense.

So... next time I get ready to tow something on a 2000 mile trip, I will take the extra time to either rent a quality trailer, or maybe buy my own.... so that I can ensure the quality and safety of what I'm using. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Yes it was......is.....whatever /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I wish I had won it actually.......especially now /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

15. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes it was......is.....whatever /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I wish I had won it actually.......especially now /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like there is more to this story /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Inquiring minds want to know /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Here is a pic of my truck getting towed home after the tranny and transfer case adaptor decided to part ways. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The big guy in Yellow was the flatbed driver...he smelled like a bum /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif and the other guy is Bill(Billybob).

[​IMG]

17. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Here it is, my super duper small motor Dodge Ram 1500.

Really, I tow with the vehicle you see in this picture. Nothing special has the small 318 motor, and an external trans cooler, with throttle body spacer, K&N filter, and weight distribution bars for the trailer, along with air bag assist in the rear springs. As long as you take your time and are not in a huge rush. This has been working for me for some time.

I am a HUGE fan of towing /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. Much easier on the creature comforts.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG]

Enjoy

18. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

While towing down to Moab this year the motor lost oil pressure at start-up........everytime!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Pulled the 18-19 hour trip in 17.5ish non stop never turning the truck off once /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Got home and unloaded the K5.................Motor..........RIP /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif GM & I are splitting it, still costly. I think my contrubuition will include a new "performance" torque converter /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

So..................Anyone want a new tow rig???

19. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

What motor was it, is that the Duramax? Sounds like a $hitty deal to me, but what can ya do /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

20. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Nope 6.0l gas.....