Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Towing please help I'm leaving today

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nikk, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Nikk

Nikk Registered Member

Towing please help I\'m leaving today

I did do a search and I found some good info but I need more specific help if someone has the time. I'll be towing my 21' hybrid trailer (hardside but has pop out beds one front and rear), I'll be driving about an hour away on the freeway and I'm worried about sway. This will be the first trip on the freeway with this truck. The truck has a 4" lift and 35 BFG muds. I do have a drop hitch but the trailer still sits 2 to 3" high from being level at the tounge. I do have a load distribution hitch that I could use with this set up but would that be smart to use seeing that the trailer is already unlevel or do you think it will help get rid of possible sway. Ultimately I know I have to get a lower drop hitch but I didnt really think about this until I started searching this great site last night and now I'm without time. Sorry for the long post and thanks alot /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

Re: Towing please help I\'m leaving today

The load distribution hitch will help, especially if the trailer is a single axle. I tow a 26' boat and sway is a problem for me also. Move as much weight to the front of the trailer as possible while still running a safe tongue weight.
    Its a little late worrying about this now isnt it? are you borrowing the trailer or is it yours?

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You should be able to tow that trailer fine with your rig.
    If you have the equalising hitch by all means use it.
    Try to get the tounge weight up just dont excede the tounge weight stamped on your hitch.. Load any extra gear forward of the axle. Moove all you can out of the very back of the trailer more to the center. Having too much weight in the rear of the trailer and not enough tounge weight is what makes them sway. An inproperly loaded trailer is the most common cause of swaying and loss of control.
    Make sure all the tires on your rig and the trailer are properly aired up.
    Take it easy at first to get used to the way it handles.
    Try accelerating, de accelerating and braking to make sure there are no suprises.

4. Nikk

Nikk Registered Member

Thanks Thunder, This is a new rig to me but I've had the trailer for 2 years. It's a dual axle trailer/RV so taking your advice I should be able to get through this one trip.
    I realize this is a bit too late to be asking these questions but hey at least I asked. I've had this set up up to about 45 mph around town with out the weight hitch and it didnt sway at all and had good braking ability so hopefully this will also go smooth with another 20mph added. If not it's only an hour away so I'll just have to back off alittle. after this trip I'll be odering a new drop hitch too go with the new truck. Thanks again man

5. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

When I pulled our trailer with my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif swaying was the devil /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. I was SOOOO dang tired and beat up from fighting the thing the whole way there that I bought a bigger rig to pull with. I had load equalizer, anti-sway bar, and dual tires on the trailer. It was just the short wheelbase that made it like a snake going down the road. I love my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif, just not for pulling our trailer. Good luck!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Nikk? Where u headed? I'm an hour from LaCrosse! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif If you're headed to Jellystone, you're right around the corner!!

7. Nikk

Nikk Registered Member

Re:UPDATE:Towing please help I\'m leaving today

Things went off without a hitch /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif, thanks for the quick responces. No sway what so ever, now if I had the 454 in it thats in the garage we'd really been haulin /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. Woody, Man that sucks. I wasnt able to check my email before I left. Ya, we were at Yogi for the wizards of rods car show. I'm going back in late August. Cool that your so close. Thanks, Nick

8. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Re:UPDATE:Towing please help I\'m leaving today

I drove by there friday night & again Sat. Normally they've paraded by the house on occassion, but didn't see them this time. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Some dang nice iron those boys drive! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif