Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

towing problem

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by wnderbra, Apr 15, 2001.

1. wnderbra

wnderbra Registered Member

I put a 6in tuff country ez lift in front and 4in shacklesand 2in blocks in rear I'm having problems with towin the bass boat the rear sags way down and it is painfully hard to steer. I need ideas on the best fix I'm thinking 3in rear springs to replace the old or maybe the adjustable air bags that mount on the springs I'd appreciate any help because I can't just leave the boat at home that would be wrong

2. BMRCCR

BMRCCR Registered Member

Airbags are great for towing. I swear by them.

Anthony

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

maybe just replace the ez ride rear springs w/ a stiffer spring such as the skyjacker softrides. The ez rides are a very very soft spring so I hear... definetly no good for towing.

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

4. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

I would say skip all of the soft ride everything. From what I can tell you will use your blazer to do blazer/truck things like towing, not flexing and rock crawling, so give it springs that are designed to take it. Don't go with ez ride or soft ride anything. A stiffer spring will do much better. Rough Country has some good springs at a great price. Go here and check out some of the ratings for yourself. http://coloradok5.com/tech.shtml

sergio

5. BMRCCR

BMRCCR Registered Member

Airbags are cheap. And you get a great ride with the soft springs, while keeping the ability to tow. Did I mention airbags are cheap? My friend put a set on his 95 S-10 for $120. They are a little more expensive for bigger trucks, though. I got mine at a swap meet, so I don't know how much they cost, but definately less then new springs. They are really easy to install, too. You can adjust them for loads, take them down for stock handling, level your truck with or without the top, etc. And they have the definate coolness factor of having something unique. I think airbags are much better than just springs. But hey, you can spend more money and get less functionality if you want. I'll never tow without mine again.

Anthony

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Any info on who makes them, source to get them, etc.? Any websites?

Good ideas for the towing.............

<font color=orange>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>

7. wnderbra

Thanks for the info just to clarify I have ez's in the front the rear springs are stock so i do'nt know whether to get the 3in springs or keep the stock and get airbags The stock springs need togo but the air bags may solve all my problems at once. I like the idea of being able to adjust One question do the air bags stay stiff all the time or only when there is a load to droop the rear I know they are air controlled but are they tall enough to be usefull all the time

8. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

You might check the tongue weight of the trailer. If it is excessive, maybe you can find a way to move the trailer axle foward or somehow re-distribute the load on the trailer. It seems to me a bass boat is relatively light and shouldn't make your Blazer sag that much.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

9. wnderbra

The stamp on the trailer says it weighs 3000lbs the axles are fixed but the boat can slide back about 6in may help

10. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

Ditch the 2" blocks and replace them with a 2" add-a-leaf, the short one that goes on the bottom of the stack like a Rancho for $50. it will give you 2" and wont hurt your ride to bad considering a bass boat really makes it sag!

11. childs

childs Registered Member

I have a 6" tough country lift with springs in the front and 4" blocks and 2" add a leaf in the rear. It may be that some of your problem is comming from the steering components in the front. We had a '95 Tahoe come in to the shop. When two jet skis were put on they had a hard time steering. The problem was in the worn out pitman and idler armes.

DE k5