Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

towing question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 99firehawk, Sep 2, 2004.

1. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

I know theres a towing section but figured Id get more responses like this.

I have a 83 k5 with 35 bfg ats and 6inchs of lift. Im considering pulling a pop up camper 2200lbs 14 ft. Ive never towed with a lifted truck before, Im going about 80 miles, Im in no hurry and have no problems doing 50-55 . Think the ol k5 is up to it? (fresh350, fresh t350 with a towing shift kit and 100%fresh brakes master->wheel cyl. and suspension. )

tia

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

It is up to it if you can keep the rear of the camper off the highway. Better look into a dropped hitch for that thing.

(35's on the trailer would solve the problem and be sweet /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif) /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

towing that load will be no problem with your ride but you will probably want a drop hitch.

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

im thinking you might need a 8" drop thingy majig. (I dont think a "drop hitch" is the proper term- as this refers to the whole hitch being lower.

5. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I stand corrected..you need a drop thingamajig. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Most people call them drop hitches... and that is what you need.

Other than that, you should be fine with such a small load behind you.

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya i have always called them droped hitches, but from now on i will use thingamajig /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

8. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the respones guys, Im on my way out now. I have a 7 and 5/8 droped thingamajig and the trailer only sits about an inch higher in the front when its hooked up. I was more concerned with how a lifted short wheel base truck tows, considerign my towing experince id with a gmc club cab dually and a f250 diesel long bed.
    Wish me luck gentle men

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Once you have your drop thingymajig, your all set. Depends on how you did your rear lift- The softer the spring, the more issues you will have-. If you have some stiff rear springs, then your all set. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

With a 2,000lb rolling load you shouldn't even notice it's back there. Especially with a low profile pop up.

11. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I looked it up eariler, the thingymagig is called a "Hitch Ball mount". More specifically, he is looking for a "Drop hitch ball mount" /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

You might not notice it back there, but I can tell you from personal experience that flexy springs and pot holes do not make for one fun towing experience.