Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

towing questions (in ref to 78 sub...s thread)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazinzuk, Aug 7, 2006.

1. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

So towing backwards is a big no no. Let me ask this question what if the trailer axles are way rear on the trailer (on the rare occasion I get to tow my blazer I use a buddys trailer) he uses the trailer to put a camper on when he goes hunting hence the weird axle placement. So its almost impossible to put a truck on there forwards. We do not tow at more than 65 mph and have never had any problems with sway at all even in heavy crosswinds. I just want some opinions on this as this is the only trailer I have access too.

2. lugnut

lugnut 1/2 ton status

Every trailer is diffrent. As long as you have enough tounge weight and arent way off from side to side your OK. Usaly between 10-15% is about right the only way to know for sure is to weigh the whole set up and trhen weigh the tounge.

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

To repeat, the trailer doesn't care what is on on it or how it is parked. All it cares about is that the tongue weight is in the right range (& that you haven't exceeded it's total capacity).
    If that means putting a vehicle on backwards, then that's what you need to do.

Think about it this way, suppose all vehicles are very light and the vehicle going on the trailer is an air cooled VW. Engine is in the back of those things. Meaning the rear axle has more weight on it. Now if you stick to the "No backwards towing" concept you're NEVER going to get the tongue weight correct.

Also, I mentioned that I have weighed my '79 3/4t 350/400/208 Suburban. The weight on the front tires is less than 100 lbs more than on the rears. Presumably all Subs are close to this with BBC's being slightly heavier in the front. Given the actual placement of THAT Sub on THAT trailer I would expect the tongue weight to be at least close, if not actually correct.

4. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Cool we actually weigh the tounge if we are going more than 20 miles or will be going more than 55 mph