Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Towing?s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DesertDueler, Feb 17, 2002.

1. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Well I just got my boat!! Well now I have a few questions. I have never towed anything lighter than my Firebird (5,000 with trailer and gear), or my Jimmy (6,500 with trailer). Well my burb has 3.42s and 33s with a 700r4, and I know it needs bigger gears since it strugles up the smallest hill with the Jimmy on the back. I was thinking of swaping axles out of my Jimmy since it will be going 1 ton. The Jimmy has 4.56s. I was wondering if I can tow in OD with the boat. At most the boat and trailer weighs 3,000. I want to be able to go faster than 65 with the boat. I dont go over 65 with the truck or car on the back. I will go back up to 35s as well to help lower rpms. Any help is greatly apriciated
    Dan

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>The 700R4 overdrive clutch has 4 steels and 3 clutch disks (I think), so it's already under a lot of stress with the 33s and 3.42s. I would stay out of OD with the trailer. Why would you want to tow in OD anyway? My 89 has 31s and 3.42s. I towed home another member's 8 lug axles on my father's motorcycle trailer last week and it was just find in D at about 65

3. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

If you have 4.56s in it, I wouldn't worry about using OD with the boat. If it starts hunting, of lugging, drop it down into D. Assuming of course your tranny is in decent shape. Our '89 has 31s and 3.73s, I took it up to Nebraska a couple times towing our boat, I've also used the OD towing a Jeep, as long as you have good road speed.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

4. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

I'd be nervous about anything being towed in O/D with the 700. Used to pull a small popup camper &amp; a 5x8 U-haul style (not at the same time of course) and as long as it wasn't hunting gears, thought I was fine. NOT! We smoked it!
    $1700 later.... (GM 3/50 replacement) and a HUGE tranny
    cooler, I still won't use O/D. Resigned myself to the roads less traveled and just take our time getting there!
    (91 1500 Sub 350/700/ 4:10s/14FF)

5. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt tow in od with 3.42s. When I had 3.42s and 35s I could tow my Jimmy at 80 no problem, but I smoked the tranny because I struggled really bad up hills. The tranny is a GM cert. tranny (3yr/50k) and has 100 miles on it. I want to go 4.56s to tow the bigger stuff, but would like to still get to the lake a little quicker.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have a 18' ski /fish boat I tow all over the place. My 89 K5 has 3.73s and It tows fine. i tow in OD quite a bit I use OD on the flats and drop it down into drive on the hills. I have many many towing miles on my 700
    Towing in OD really wont hurt a 700 as long as the load isn't too great and your fluid is cool and fresh. I have a drain plug in my pan so i can change the fluid easier. I also run a good cooler.
    Its not so much that heat hurts the tranny as its the heat that breaks down the fluid and the fluid looses its lubricating qualities. This causes the trans to wear out faster. 200 degrees willl break down tranny fluid rather quickly. Even though it looks good it still may be not lubeing up to specs. So I always change the fluid at the beginning and in the middle of the summer. I also use a product called its Good stuff. All the products<a target="_blank" href=http://www.pro-blend.com/index2.html> Pro blend makes work good

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze> Blazer pics</a>

<font color=blue>Nevada... Where the pavement ends and the west begins