Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Towing the '72 K5?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wedge, Jan 23, 2003.

1. wedge

wedge Registered Member

Towing the \'72 K5?

Can I tow our 72 K5 with all 4 wheels on the ground? It's a 4WD with 4 speed manual and I get conflicting opinions. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

Re: Towing the \'72 K5?

my 69 K20 is 4WD w/4 speed manual. I got a tow bar ont he front of it and it tows better than any thing else I've towed

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

The only thing I ever heard to do was put the transfer case in neutral.....then go!

Seemed like a pretty straightforward and "common sense" suggestion, but I'll let someone with BTDT experience give you the final vote!

4. Tuff

Tuff Registered Member

I did this from colorado to South carolina and didn't have a problem. However I pulled both drive shafts so nothing could go Wrong. I pulled it with a tow bar and magnet lights.

5. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

I would say beings it a 4-speed and not an automatic. unlock front hubs, put tranny in neutral, t-case in neutral, and disconnect rear driveshaft. so that the u-joints are not spinning. Im not sure if this could hurt anything or not but just preventative thing I spose.

6. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

for a long trip, taking the drive shafts off would be nice. but short ones, it would be almost pointless and unnecissary I think.

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I think there is a max weight to flat tow for each state. You might be over it. Other than that just make sure the tow bar is level and that you tow it with a HEAVY truck!

8. wedge

wedge Registered Member

Thanks Guys! I'm ordering a 10,000# towbar today. We'll pull it with our MH that is a Freightliner Chassis with 330 Cat and 6 sp Allison trans. We have air brakes and a Jake brake but won't use the Jake when towing. I think we'll install remote brakes on the Blazer as well. The only reason we'll tow the Blazer is that we don't want to buy another vehicle to tow. The insurance and plates for the K5 are relatively cheap and it's alot of fun to have around! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif