Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

towing the Jimmy?s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DesertDueler, Oct 26, 2001.

1. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I am getting ready to buy a trailer so I can tow the Jimmy. Is there any special width I need? Here is the specs on it: 1/2 ton axles 10 bolt front , 12 bolt rear, 15x10 wheels with 4" backspacing, and 38.5x14.50-15s. Thanks for the help in advance.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Most car trailers are not wide enough for even a stock K5. My front tires are 85" overall width and you might be a hair wider than that depending on offset.

A lot of trailer I've seen also secure the vehicle with an over the tire strap/net...and it's not usually big enough for tires over 28" tall.

Count on your total trailer + K5 weight to be in the 7000 lb range and plan to have enough tow vehicle for the job. A weight distributing hitch and damn good trailer brakes are necessary IMHO as well. I prefer electric trailer brakes over surge brakes any day.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. DesertDueler

I have the burb for towing. It has the electric brake hookup already wired. As for the straps I would use the straps that tie the axles to the trailer. I want to check the measurement, but the swampers havent shown up yet :(

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Width will be your problem. 79Jimmy rented a trailer to pick up the 82 Blazer I sold to his friend and it had stock rally's and 31's on the front and it was too wide. We had to get real creative to get it on the trailer and had to air the tires down up front to get it secured to the trailer.

I'm sure there are wider trailers available...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

5. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I tow mine on an 18' trailer, the deck is 83" between the fender, which is as wide as you'll find them. I weighed my truck before I bought the trailer, 5700 w/hard top, no back seat, no gear, no gas. A typical 7000 lb rated car trailer weighs around 1500 lbs. Which means with my Blazer on it, it would be overweight. Therefore, I bought a 10,000 lb rated trailer, which you will find is not nearly as easy to find (especially used) as a 7000, also a huge price jump. The truck would fit on a 16', but an 18' is better, and 16' 10k is not common.

My frontend is 88-89" wide, w/15x10 beadlocks w/4 1/8 backspacing, and 15x39.6-15 TSLs. I have the heavy duty fender, and just drive over the left one. When looking for a trailer, you want a "car hauler" type, not a "flat bed". Car haulers have no rails or one at the front only. Flat beds have rails on the sides as well (~12"). They are structural and cannot be removed. When comparing prices, the standard vs optional stuff can vary a lot, make sure you know what is included. For example, any trailer in CO will have brakes on both axles (required by law), but if I pick up a Truck Trader, the places in Oklahoma have cheaper trialers since the brake requirements are not as strict.

Some trailers also have removeable fenders, which would help you get it on. I use a chain on the rear axle and HD ratchet tie down on the front. Put the chain and straps on loose, put the truck in gear and tighten the front, works great.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

6. DesertDueler

Good idea on driving up the fender. As for the weight of the Jimmy its pretty light. No top, no doors, plexyglass windshiled, no carpet, cheap japanesse fenders and hood, etc.