Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

towing two trailers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tiger9297, May 23, 2005.

1. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Just wondering if it's legal to tow two trailers in your state. I have a 27ft. camper and I'm about to put a hitch on it so I can pull my boat too. In my state (Mississippi) this used to be illegal. I guess 10 or so years ago it became legal and lots of people do it now. Just wondering if you enter a state where it's illegal would you get a ticket? I know many states have differing vehicle laws.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I know in PA you can get a ticket for things that are legal in other states. Such as states that only have headlight height laws, doesn't matter when you enter PA.

That is going to be beyond a nightmare to back up... I wouldn't even consider doing it myself, but thats me.

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

as far as i know the first trailer MUST be a comertail plated one to tow.

and as far as backing up the biggest prob would be sight with a big camper.

look at all the truckers they have better manuverablity with two trailers then one. at least the driver I had droping off at my work was really good.

just make sure you can hook the boat to you truck to so that if you have trouble you can drop the camper. good luck and gad mileage to you :grin:

4. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

In Montana (and I think in most states), it's illegal to tow tandem unless the first trailer is a 5th wheel

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I don't know the specifics of it, but I've seen a few towing two trailers around these parts, usually people just passing through.

And sled is right, each vehicle must conform to the vehicle laws in each state it goes through, even though the vehicle would be legal in it's home state. Outside of the Utah Highway Patrol, you would be hardpressed though to find cops that would pull that crap.

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

7. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Well, most people don't even attempt to back up. When you get where you are going, drop the boat, set the camper up, then hook up to the boat, put it in the lake and pray that the Crappie are biting. :D

8. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Not sure about the particulars, but yes, in Oklahoma it's legal.

John

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

AFAIK that is the case in KA, but you need a commercial license to drive it.

10. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

AFAIK that is what truckers do with tandems. Drop one, dock the other, then go back and pick up and dock the one you dropped. Some guys are really good and can do it while still pulling two. A trucker buddy of mine watched this once and was amazed......

11. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's not real popular in Minnesota but I believe it's legal as long as it's under a certain length, otherwise a special permit is required. 27 feet comes to mind but that seems short and I don't have my driver's liscence on me so I'm not sure.

12. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Legal in AZ and UT. It isn't rare to see it being done. We have a lot of camping/riding/boating/wheeling spots that people want more than one toy for. You are supposed to still be under the total GVW.

13. gmcjimmy88

gmcjimmy88 1/2 ton status

legal in NC

I do not know the particulars but I recall reading somewhere that it was legal in NC. I also remember seeing it several times locally.

14. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Here in cali it can be done with a class A license. I think there are other laws to worry about though such as CGVWR (combined gross vehicle weight rating)

15. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

ive seen people do it here behind 5 wheels, seems to me that the second trailer has to be under 15', not sure if that is the limit or if you need some other lisence to have a bigger one.

my neighbor backed up a gravel train (semi with 2 25' dump trailers) into his driveway with both trailers attached. his driveway is not that wide either. it took a while but he did it with no problem. i bet he had lots of practice to do it though.

16. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Looked on my liscence and it appears that the only limit is a 26,000 pound GVWR limit. I'm sure there are laws as to length but they aren't listed. It appears that recreational and farm vehicles however can exceed the weight limit.