Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Towing uhaul trailor with 2002 Bonneville???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by speedyvision917, Dec 18, 2004.

1. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

ok my parents are helpin my aunt move and bring stuff from there house in northern connecticut down to pennsylvania theyre getting a hitch and renting a uhaul to bring down a bed and a dresser and maybe a few more smaller things, you think itll be fine to take that much or even tow anything with a bonneville???

2. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

There will not be any problem. I would highly recommend a tranny cooler be installed as well. Heat is the number 1 reason for tranny failure.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think that is complete suicide. Rent a truck and pull the car instead. If the wind blew just right and you lost control, you'd never forgive yourself.

4. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

IF you do get the hitch installed onto the car for this move, DO NOT have Uhaul do the install. They are notorious for for doing substandard work, and incomplete work. Also, the products they use aren't the best either - the hitches hang low and are very visible. Have a certified, recommended hitch and trailer shop do the work on the vehicle. But, just my $.02....

5. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

so one person says itll be fine and the other says its suicide, could i get a thrid opinion? also how would the wind affect it? and is that the only danger?

6. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Whatever, you guys.... :rolleyes:

I've pulled tons of U-Haul trailers with tons of different (cars) and they are awesome! U-Haul will install a DrawTite brand hitch because they are the best in the industry. Plus, who can come close U-Haul's lifetime, no questions asked, free replacement hitch warranty?

U-Haul helps millions of families move each year without incident. So, go for it and report to us your experience!

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I sure would make sure you stay UNDER the tow rating. Its go the motor to do it the problem is the Unibody and front wheel drive. Both negatives for a good tow vehicle.

As long as you stay under the tow rating you should be ok. That said, A trailer big enough to handle a bed and dresser is going to be about 500lb at the very least. My bet is the tow rating on that car is under 2k.

Well I just looked up the 2004 V6 tow rating...1,000 lb. I think it might be wise to find a more suitable tow vehicle.
    http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc....ntiac;2004 Bonneville&M29M7A4;;M29M7&&&&nyrnc