Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Towing upgrade??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jacktar, Mar 11, 2000.

1. jacktar

jacktar Newbie

I am going to pick up an '82 Blazer w/ 6.2L diesel today. Will be the first 4x4 I've ever owned. I am going to be using it occasionally to tow a #6000 boat. I think I will want to upgrade my brakes, and maybe even axles and suspension. What would be the best way to do this, or is it even possible? I was hoping I could just swap my components for 3/4 ton or 1 ton parts.

Also- Why does the glove box plate and title search show K10???

Jacktar,
    Tampa, FL

2. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

First of all Blazers are very short wheel based for towing. I do tow an enclosed trailer (when fully loaded 7000 lbs.) sometimes with my 75K5. I would not recommend towing on a regular basis. If you insist though then you will need stronger springs front and rear. Don't forget about a super heavy duty sway bar and st least a 12 bolt rearend. If you are going bigger than the 235/75R15 tires then you'll need to change your diff. gears. Make sure the trailer has good brakes on it (both axles) with an adjustable controller in the truck. A good equalizer hitch will help alot (www.equalizerhitch.com). Hope this gives you some idea of what you will have to do. As far as axle upgrades, I have a D44 front and 12 bolt in the rear with lockers and 4.10 gears and seem to be fine for pulling.

Good luck,
    David 75K5

[​IMG]http://www.renschler.org/~goldrush

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I tow a 21' travel trailer that weighs about 3500 lbs totally loaded. I've never had a problem. I DO use a heavy duty weight distribution system on my hitch, and my trailer has dual axles(important!!!!!!!). The only thing that sucks is the output of my 305.

I also tow with an 83 6.2 half ton. Long hills give her a bit of a problem, but on the flats she keeps up with everyone else. MAKE SURE you change the oil every 2000 miles and your fuel and air filters every year. regular maintenance is really important with a 6.2.

Both vehicles have stock rear diffs, but my trailer is a lightweight.

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: K10

Just a little footnote..........We've talked about the K10 thing before, and most of have the same rating. I think it means: K-4X4, 10-half ton. I'm not sure where the K5 nameplate fits in.

5. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Well, according to the GM brochure for the '91 Blazer (and it's the smae for most years), the Blazer with 3.73 gears and the 350 is rated to tow a 6000lb trailer (I think the diesel uses the 3.42's). I agree with the others that the Blazer maybe isn't the best choice for daily towing of a huge trailer (that's what 1-ton dually's are for!!) but it is rated for that. I also plan to tow a 6000 lb travel trailer (on weekends mostly during the summer months) so I have opted to upgrade to a Dana 60/14-bolt combo when I install my 6 inch lift and 36" tires. I want the reliability factor as the Blazer will be my daily driver. One thing to remember if your Blazer has the 700-R4 is to install a large tranny cooler. Especially with an '82. Those were the years that the 700-R4 got it's bad reputation.

Good Luck
    Brian
    Still in search of the TBI KING!!

6. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

MY 87 K5
    HAS WHATS CALLED THE "TOW PACKAGE"
    BUT I DIDNT GET HER TO WORK FOR ME...
    ITS GOOD TO KNOW I CAN THOUGH

7. Rayven90

Rayven90 Registered Member

I have a 90 Blazer and tow about a 6500 lb camper trailer in the summer. I am very unfortunate to only have 3:30 gears. I do use trailer brakes and a stabilizer hitch. When running on flat ground I can run a good 65 - 70. as soon as I find any hills i may drop to 50. I am also running 31's. I also red you should never use overdrive while towing. I guess the gear is not strong enough.

Ray