Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

towing w/shakle flip?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Heavymetal, May 4, 2001.

1. Heavymetal

Heavymetal 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have read some where that a shakle flip is not a good option for someone that does a lot of towing. I am interested in getting rid of my blocks. I know I can get 4 inch springs, but I am concerned with having a harsh ride. I have a 77' k20 burb that I am building to be a all around vehicle, so these things are important to me. Does anyone have the 4 inch shakle flip and do any heavy towing? If so how does it perform for you? Any problems? Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike.

77' 3/4 ton Burb, 400cu, sm465, np205, 14boltff, dana44, 4.10s, 36 inch cepeks.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by heavymetal on 05/06/01 08:46 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. Heavymetal

Anyone?

77' 3/4 ton Burb, 400cu, sm465, np205, 14boltff, dana44, 4.10s, 36 inch cepeks.

3. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Mike

I don't see why it would make any difference.
    There's no additional leverage that I can see. The springs push on one end of the shackle and the mounting bracket push on the other end. It's the same shackle & the same loads applied. Just because there's a big cradle around the shackle in stock configuration, it's still only mounted by that one bolt which it would still have if inverted as in a shackle flip.

I've got an alterior (sp?) motive for replying to this as well. I plan to use a shackle flip style setup for my springs on the rear as well because I'm building a new frame & it looks alot easier to build a tension shackle mount as opposed to that big cradle for a compression set-up. I'm hoping I'll get some more people to reply & comment on my opinion.

Take Care
    Brian
    89KBlazer

4. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

I have to agree that there wouldn't be a difference. Some other members have towed and said there were no differences. I also plan on flipping and will be towing with the truck.

<font color=green>Joe Angelicchio
    86 Jimmy 4+3, 35-&gt;39.5 tires,4spd
    </font color=green>
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. k20diesel

k20diesel Registered Member

4" lift isn't much. A good set of springs with 4" lift is not expensive and will offer the best performance for load carrying and towing. And a good spring won't ride too stiff.

The shackle flip is a great idea, but in my opinion, it was designed for blazers, 1/2T's and short wheel base trucks to perform better off road and have a nicer ride. It was not intended to carry loads and tow with a 3/4 or 1T truck. It was adapted and will work, but looking at it, it has the same leverage problems as blocks. It introduces a third pivot point and a lever arm - just that the lever is on the top of the spring not the bottom - which helps eliminate axle wrap (something that is not very common on a 3/4 or 1T truck). Not saying its a bad product, its not. It will work, but if you want the best performance towing and hauling, use a spring. If you don't mind a little swaying don't worry about it. Also depends on how heavy a load you have and how well you trailer is balanced.

I am curious to know what DOT says regarding this? They are cracking down pretty hard around here on guys who exceed their GVW and have modifications on their trucks.

6. Heavymetal

Thanks for the input. I have read somewhere something similar in regards to points of leverage and such. I think I will bite the bullet and buy some springs.

77' 3/4 ton Burb, 400cu, sm465, np205, 14boltff, dana44, 4.10s, 36 inch cepeks.