Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

towing with a 3/4 ton K5?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Cavalry, May 27, 2005.

1. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I am currently flatbeding my K5. While its tore apart I am going to replace the springs. I have the option of 3/4 ton springs (already swapped axles) anyone tow with a short wheelbase truck? not thinking a gooseneck here but maybe a 18' loaded car hauler. Just wanted to know if it gets squirly?

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Mmm. Some people will tell you you can do it. I towed a big-ass flatbed with my ex-wife's VW on it once with a stock K5, no problem. I went slow and it was only in-town, no highway.

I've towed a K5/Chalet on a flatbed behind a 3/4 ton Burb and it handled just fine, but was grossly underpowered on hills (TBI350.)

My current tow vehicle is a one ton longbed crewcab (it's a wheelbase thing, baby!) with a big block. I don't have concerns about towing much of anything now.

Point being, it depends on driving style, tongue loading, terrain and weather, phase of the moon, all kinds of things. At the least, make sure your brakes are in tip top shape, allow lots of extra room in front of you, and if the truck gets squirrely, slow down.

Oh, and install an auxiliary tranny cooler or budget for a rebuild, especially if you have an early 700R4 :haha:

-- A

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would say yes. I towed 8K numerous times with my 3/4 ton K5 that is jacked up 10" with boggers. Engine and braking power for me was great, keeping everything perfectly strait was a little harder, but not terrible. I pulled pickups on trailers a few times and did 70mph through the hills with one hand on the wheel, no problem at all.

But......I now have a 3/4 ton 2001 Dodge Cummins, There is no comparison. Wheelbase and big D60 brakes makes a big difference.

4. Boondocks

Boondocks 1/2 ton status

I've pulled both an 18' travel trailer and 12' flatbed with my 72 K5 with GMPP 383HT through the mountains of Idaho. Both trailers have brakes and the K5 is equipped with a brake controller and travel trailer has equalizer. No problems, just use normal trailering caution.

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

not underpowered, undergeared.

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Maybe.. but the TH400 stayed in low going up hills and I was being passed by semi's. 4.10:1 rear and stock diameter tires ... suppose 4.56:1 woulda helped, but then the fuel economy would REALLY suck, chuckle.

'Sokay, I got home safely, and the wife kept the Burb when we split, so I got to buy the pickup :D

-- A