Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

towing with a 6.2L diesel?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by juanblzer, Feb 11, 2003.

1. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

have a line on a 1990 crew cab dually 4x4 with a 6.2. I want it for a daily driver and tow rig. I will be towing my blazer hopefully with a gooseneck trailer. ANy and all help/ ideas are appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

TURBO THAT BABY!! And put some aftermarket exhaust on it.

3. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

You might get more response in the diesel section, but my $.02 is that a crew cab dually 4x4 with a gooseneck and blazer in tow is one helluva big load for a stock 6.2. Hope its flat where you live, my 6.2 would be dragging its butt at about 25mph up decent interstate hills with that kind of weight. It would be pushing 14000 gross.

4. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I'd also recommend a Gear Vendors overdrive. Put on in a '88 crew cab I had, made a world of difference. 1-2mpg better fuel economy but you could cruise 70 comfortably after the OD was installed. Best I pulled was 18 mpg with it, tired motor and all. Mine was a SRW though.

5. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Im a big chevy lover, but im gonna tell you to buy another brand diesel. Or just get a big block. Ive had two of the 6.2's both in very good condition, and as a tow rig in stock form, they suck. You just have to do too much to the N/A diesel to make it perform.
    Save your pennies, and get a Dodge

6. 91k5NC

91k5NC 1/2 ton status

if it was me i would wait and get a 2500 or a 3500 doge or furd diesel.

7. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

If you can get a good deal on it then put a cummins or 454 in it later. That's if you are totally unhappy with the 6.2. It has ideal running gear. I towed a 35' 5th wheel on a 600mile trip to southern Ohio, and many local trips. Mostly flat land, it got the job done and better fuel economy when empty than a gasser would ever get.

8. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    A buddy of mine has a 2001 Dodge withan inline 6 turbo cummins diesel mated to an auto tranny.He live in B.C. and pulls around a 35ft race trailer with car,tools and living quarters in it.He swears by his Dodge.He say it will pull up any grade all day with "nuts" to spare and excellant milage to boot.