Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Towing with a bus?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by cybrfire, May 7, 2006.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Anybody seen it done? Anybody ever done it?

Got to looking at the bus today and thinking about how things would trail behind and it sure is a long ways from the rear axle to the back of the bus. Could be interesting.

Was also thinking about weight distribution and somewhat concerned about being able to even load the trailer with the right amount of tonque weigh. I don't think the bus is gona sag much from tongue weight the way a pickup would so it may be hard to tell if its loaded properly, or what is loaded properly....

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Look at how many little 100 lb kids can fit in the seats behind the axle. I am guessing over 12 kids. That makes way for a bit of tongue weight.

I use to ride horses with some friends that used a bus as a camping/horse hauling rig. Moving 4-5 horses was no problem for them with the old blue bird.

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I'm thinking your right. Tongue weight should be no prob at all. Might be difficult to tell if you have enough. At the same time it may be difficult to have too much.

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I pull my 20 foot boat behind my 40 foot fifth wheel camper, and the camper has a huge over hang behind the wheels in the back. You need to make sure the trailer you pull has a long tongue. The off trail of the trailer will not be so bad because of the tail swing of the bus. I can cruise around a campground just as easily with the boat behind the camper as I can without it.

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

A buddy of maine took an old school bus and made a flatbed out of the rear half. He made the front into a mini RV and had his buggy on the back.

6. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Purple power!!

7. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I tow with a 32' motorhome and don't have any problems with tongue weight or towing a trailer. The hitch is rated at 300 pounds tongue so I put a little more weight over the axles but I seriously can't tell its even back there.

Until I come to a hill :eek1: