Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

towing with a canversion van

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Seventy4Blazer, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

ok folks, my wife and i are getting ready for our future possible maybe move....
    well, we are looking at conversion vans. specificaly 3/4 ton chevy's. i have yet to see a van with a big block or diesel(in a chevy anyway), and if i do thats obviously what i would be looking at most.

my question is this, could a conversion van be a good tow rig? obviously the inside options are great. space, food, all the fun stuff. but the small block pulling the extra weigh of the van and the 6000lb trailer and rig. am i asking for trouble? i know the Wheel base is on the shorter side, but its not that bad is it?

any input is great. oh, and i may end up buying a 1 ton ford diesel 4x4 van... they are the only 4x4 diesel vans i have seen. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    Grant

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

1 ton K30 4x4 crew with slide in... Diesel or BBC, all the good stuff... That's what I wanted when I lucked up on my 2500HD.

3. Seventy4Blazer

ya know there was a killer deal on a 97 K30 ext cab long bed dually with a slide in. i should have bout it instead of the sonoma...
    oh well.
    that would be the best thing for our budget and needs. but i need a 3+3 not an ext cab. it would have worked.

but a van is the next best thing i think. and i cant buy a 25k + dollar truck.
    Grant

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ya know there was a killer deal on a 97 K30 ext cab long bed dually with a slide in. i should have bout it instead of the sonoma...
    oh well.
    that would be the best thing for our budget and needs. but i need a 3+3 not an ext cab. it would have worked.

but a van is the next best thing i think. and i cant buy a 25k + dollar truck.
    Grant

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a diesel powered conversion chevy Van 3/4 ton.
    It's a 82 though so I don't know how many later models had the diesel option.
    If you want a 4x4van most are fords but they also made some chevy.
    Look up quigley

They only work on new vans but they might have some used ones for sale or can point you in the right direction.

Vans are great for towing, they have the room, the stability, the wheel base and in 4x4 they are awesome.

I converted one a few years ago to 4x4, it was great.

Now I have a crewcab 3+3 4x4 trying different things.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. BadDog

Actually, I was looking for an 87-91 V30 with 454 TBI. I was also looking for 3+3 and would not even consider an extended cab (not even available in those models anyway). I do like my '02 Dmax/Alli but, sometimes I wish I had gone with the V30...

Good luck!

6. Seventy4Blazer

[ QUOTE ]
    sometimes I wish I had gone with the V30...

[/ QUOTE ]

like when that paymen comes around each month... he he
    i do like your truck though.
    Grant

7. BadDog

[ QUOTE ]
    like when that paymen comes around each month... he he
    i do like your truck though.
    Grant

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep, that's generally when it happens... then and when the insurance comes up. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Or when I want to take it on a mild trail...

8. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I had a diesel conversion till A Too Fast and Too furious hit me in the left side on the interstate the other day. He stop to see if I was OK then ran. I couldn't get his tag or get a good look at the guy. Can you say HIT and RUN?

thank god for Uninsured motorist. $4528 dollars worth of damage. State farm Insurance totaled out my van Buyback $1000. They only gave me $2525 for my '88 conversion van with a 6.2.

9. Seventy4Blazer

see if the highway you were on had any video cameras on it in that area that were recording at that time.
    sorry to hear about that.
    Grant

10. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

there's been a 4x4 ford van for sale here for a while with a 460 and spare engine... its like an 81/82 i think... want more info? i can look around ifn ya want

11. Seventy4Blazer

no, we are refinancing our house right now. then paying off the credit cards. once that is done finish my truck and the back yard. then pull a loan for a tow rig. i can pick up a 85 with 93k miles out this way. its a chevy, loaded. some old folks want to get rid of it. but like russ said i think a diesel crew cab 4x4 with a slide in would be best.
    we will see. i have just never towed with a van, so i was just curious.
    Grant

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

How much weight are you talking about towing?

Here are the basic rules of safe towiing
    1. FULL frame vehicle with weights over 3500 or so pounds.
    2. The longer the wheel base the less the trailer can influence the tow vehicle.
    3. drivetrain matched to the weigh of the the trailer.

Here is problem one. Conversion vans are HEAVY to begin with and a lot of that weight is up high. You need to look at the combined max GVWR of the van. Conversion vans are so heavy that they are often near the max GVWR with 4 adults. They may only have a 2k available to tow with.

Most conversion vans are built on 1/2 or 3/4 ton plat forms. Where this becomes a big issue is most GM vans that are 1/2 or 3/4 are UNI BODY as in NO FRAME. The 1 tons do have a full frame but finding a 1 ton conversion van is not easy. You would proably have ot have it custom built.
    As far as I know there is no FACTORY 4x4 full size van offered. There are several companies that do 4x4 conversion such as Quigly but it is not a factory option. You can get them to do a GM as easy as a ford.

The above is why I went with a Burb. You can get the creature comforts and still get a GVWR in the 16k range with a trailer. 16k sounds like a lot but your at it with a built K5 on a trailer, gear and passangers.