Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Towing with a k-5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gmcjimmy4x4, Apr 15, 2007.

1. gmcjimmy4x4

gmcjimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

Just wondering how much i can tow with my 91 jimmy. Ive got a 6" lift 37's and 14bff with 5.13 in the rear with disc brakes. Its got a stock 700r4 but only has 40,000 on it. The engine is orignal with 155,00. Also upgraded the rear drivline and u-joints. Does have an engine oil and tranny cooler. Im renting a toy hauler trailer for labor day and not sure what to expect. The trailer is 4980 empty and rated 7000 loaded.

2. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

make sure youve got a big tranny cooler on that 700r4, or itll be toast. you should be able to tow the 7k that the trailer is rated for, but make sure you got the biggest tranny cooler you can find, also dont tow in overdrive (im sure you already knew that)

3. 1fastchevy

1fastchevy Registered Member

you will be amazed as to what you can pull, you have all the right stuff, do you have trailer brake? it will make a huge difference when it comes to stopping, Dave

4. gmcjimmy4x4

gmcjimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

Will be installing one asap.

5. guz71

guz71 1/2 ton status

you can do it, but its not going to be fun. With such a short wheel base your going to be bucking the whole time probably. I would defiantely get some trailor brakes, or that bad boy is going to push you right through an intersection. A bad boy tranny cooler defiantely would not hurt either.

6. 1fastchevy

1fastchevy Registered Member

just make sure to cruize don't get in ahurry, the short wheel base will be a little scarry, check all the tire pressures all the way around even the trialer, I would run them high just to help with the truck and trailer feeling loose( side to side), Dave